Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to find a well-made, reliable router for my husband who loves Festool and the whole system thing, but we have a minimal budget (not more than £150).

I don't want to buy cheap sugar-honey-india-tea. On e-bay.co.uk I have seen several Elu routers MOF96/02(clean and almost unused), MOF98, MOF131, which are nicely within budget, and I have read some reviews online that praise the 96 highly.

Any recommendations? Is he going to end up being annoyed at it's limitations? Can he attach a dust extractor to the 96?

Thanks!

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
G'day Hana

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
777 Posts
I know many people say the Elu routers are great and I don't doubt them, it's just they are getting a bit old now.
Maybe a DeWalt DW621, it has built in dust extraction.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why thank you all for your welcome and I will have a look at the Dewalt...let's hope my decision coincides with the "permanent plans of God" and doesn't slip into stupidity! Then again, my stupidity is most probably part of God's permanent plan! lol.

I suppose that's why I'm asking your advice:)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Hana

The ELUs were well built but fetch rather high prices on eBay considering that they haven't been made for something over 20 years. Vendors can say 'good condition' and they may well look clean, but after at least 20 years of use, they are unlikely to be at their best. The 600w ones are probably nearer 30 years old, as the later ones were 900w.
From time to time I look out for cheap ones, with a view to swapping the bearings and carbon brushes, which can give them a new lease of life. There was one advertised on eBay as ELU recently that I'm fairly sure wasn't. The vendor admitted the label was missing, but the MOF96 was widely copied, as the design was good, even if cheaper components were used. I bought a Chinese MOF96 copy new recently for 20 quid with a 3 year guarantee just for occasional use on those occasions when I don't want to be swapping bits back and forth. They aren't ELU quality though.
DeWalt took them over and continued selling them in their house yellow under their own model numbers. The DW625 is the old MOF177 and is a powerful router. I got mine on eBay for UKP150 in very good condition, so you could well do the same.

Good luck

Peter

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi Peter

deWalt actually retained the Elu brand name in the UK until the mid to late 1990s for some products (especially the routers) alongside their own brand. In Germany I believe the brand lasted slightly longer (about 2000). I certainly have a MOF177e bought brand new in 1999.

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh my gosh! Well I have just won a Dewalt 621, brand new, on ebay for £108 - keep your fingers crossed that my husband likes it!

I will let you know......

Thanks again everyone for taking the time.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Peter

deWalt actually retained the Elu brand name in the UK until the mid to late 1990s for some products (especially the routers) alongside their own brand. In Germany I believe the brand lasted slightly longer (about 2000). I certainly have a MOF177e bought brand new in 1999.

Regards

Phil
Hi Phil

That is useful. I didn't realise they were still selling them as ELU in the UK so late, although I'd suspected they had retained the name in Germany where all sorts of ELU products show up that I don't think DeWalt ever ran with. I'd even wondered whether Lutz had kept the German market out of the deal.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
147 Posts
Peter,
My Elu 3338, purchased in the US in 1993 also carries the label "Woodworking Tools by Black&Decker": Dewalt wasn't in the picture yet.
Regis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats

Your husband is a very luck man! I have had a DW 621 for many years and love it every time I use it. Here is some great info on the DW 621 from a fella who really knows a thing or two about routers. I also highly recommend his bases for the DW 621.

patwarner.com/dw621.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
What about a Triton router I have never used on but they see to get good reviews ans woodcraft is running a sale the 3 1/4 hp is only 189.00
oops! I see you already got one from e-bay good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a PC guy

I love the Porter Cable 890 series system that I've had for about 7 years. I use my router often, but am in no way a pro on all its uses, but I think use of both plunge and fixed base is super easy to use and set up is a breeze!

·
Registered
9 Posts
triton 3 1/4

What about a Triton router I have never used on but they see to get good reviews ans woodcraft is running a sale the 3 1/4 hp is only 189.00
oops! I see you already got one from e-bay good luck.
I think that price might be for the 2HP model not the 3 1/4? Oh no, you are right it is on sale right now for $190. Got to be the best router value on the planet right now.

I think this might be the best router value out there: I bought the Triton 3 1/4HP Plunge Router from Woodcraft for $270. It was surprising since they are typically a higher priced source but they had the best price around. Now at $190 !!!

I quite happy with it and it has great feature for table mounting.

The only concern is this is a relatively new company and the long term availability of parts and service is unproven.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wood Magazine's October 2010 issue presented an evaluation of routers. They chose the Bosch MRC23EVS ($325) as the TOP Tool and the Rigid R29302 ($200) as the TOP Value. The DeWalt wasn't rated since it is a plunge router only. The routers reviewed had both plunge and fixed base attachments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hana,it is wisdom to ask, and their is good in much council. you have acted with wisdom.
all our knpwledge is borrowed from someone else and not ours to keep but to share, we are all on the same journey and recieved help as you have. put hubby on to the router forum if he is not already.Regards and God bless. Paul

1 - 20 of 36 Posts