Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this interesting link to a video comparing the 3 Triton routers. I know we're mostly favoring the Bosch these days, but the Tritons are darned good. The smaller routers are covered first, but the final third covers the TRA001 used in a table. After lots of research, I choose the 001 for table use and love it. Click around the final third to view his coverage of what I think is an ideal table router. The presenter is a Brit.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
One of the mail-order places had a really good deal on the mid-size Triton and I watched this video several times. Finally, based on the recommendations of several one this forum, I bought the Bosch 1617 kit. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but hoping to soon once the doctor has signed off on my back problem.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Mike Magrath fixed me up with a Triton 001 in a Grizzly table. Great set up for what I do. It's the quietest router of the 3 I own (that work). The only thing I would addd to the Grizz table would be a table switch to turn it on and off. Reaching under the table can be a pain. The guy is right - It's a beast.

HJ

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom
Stick favors Bosch not all of us. There are many happy triton owners here
I am one of them. I have the 001 in my table and it is really great. I'm in the process of switching mounting plates from the Rockler plate to a Woodpecker plate with the twist lock insert. Went out today to find a pattern bit to enlarge the opening and couldn't find one. Had to order it so the project is put off til Monday. Hate it when that happens--being one item short to get the project done.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, I have two 1617s, one was in the table. I also have a colt. The 1617 is really nice to use freehand, larger routers feel very awkward to me. I have a Dado Wiz for exact fit dados and grooves which is perfect with the Bosch.

The 001 is really quiet.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The switch is a pain when using it in a table. Put a muscle chuck Colet on it. and a remote switch It is a dream changing bits now.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The switch is a pain when using it in a table. Put a muscle chuck Colet on it. and a remote switch It is a dream changing bits now.

@paduke If I understand you right, the muscle chuck means you don't have to raise the router to the top, which is what locks the switch out and turns it off. So with the muscle chuck, the on switch just stays on? Is that correct?

I have a metal dust collection box with a metal door and yesterday while working on it, I scraped a chunk of skin off the back of my hand on the metal edge. So reaching for that switch isn't really working for me. Disabling the interlock is possible, but not easy. Sounds like the Muscle Chuck is the way to go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I am one of them. I have the 001 in my table and it is really great. I'm in the process of switching mounting plates from the Rockler plate to a Woodpecker plate with the twist lock insert. Went out today to find a pattern bit to enlarge the opening and couldn't find one. Had to order it so the project is put off til Monday. Hate it when that happens--being one item short to get the project done.
A few months ago I was at KMS Tools in Kamloops and they had the 1 3/4 h.p. (I think) Triton router on for what I thought was a bargain price. I didn't know anything about the Triton's then. I should have taken a chance and picked it up.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few months ago I was at KMS Tools in Kamloops and they had the 1 3/4 h.p. (I think) Triton router on for what I thought was a bargain price. I didn't know anything about the Triton's then. I should have taken a chance and picked it up.

@cocobolo1 Triton had a problem finding a good distributor for awhile, but their tools are very good. One subtle thing about their design is that the impeller pushes air out through the chuck end, which reduces dust incursion. @Harry Sin is a big fan and on his advice I got the TRA001 for the table and retired my 1617 from table use. My only problem with it is the metal box I put in for dust collection. It has an unfinished, sharp edge and is a pretty tight fit. I could replace it, but it would be an unpleasant chore. I'm going to figure out a way to put something over that edge so I don't get scraped again, maybe a thin plastic binder used for making quickie booklets.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
@paduke If I understand you right, the muscle chuck means you don't have to raise the router to the top, which is what locks the switch out and turns it off. So with the muscle chuck, the on switch just stays on? Is that correct?

I have a metal dust collection box with a metal door and yesterday while working on it, I scraped a chunk of skin off the back of my hand on the metal edge. So reaching for that switch isn't really working for me. Disabling the interlock is possible, but not easy. Sounds like the Muscle Chuck is the way to go.

Thanks.
Yep you do not need to raise it to the lock position but be religous about unplugging it. On my RT's I installed a quad box with a switched receptacle. I unplug it and raise the router and change bits.
make sure you order the right one there are two different ones

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
@cocobolo1 Triton had a problem finding a good distributor for awhile, but their tools are very good. One subtle thing about their design is that the impeller pushes air out through the chuck end, which reduces dust incursion. @Harry Sin is a big fan and on his advice I got the TRA001 for the table and retired my 1617 from table use. My only problem with it is the metal box I put in for dust collection. It has an unfinished, sharp edge and is a pretty tight fit. I could replace it, but it would be an unpleasant chore. I'm going to figure out a way to put something over that edge so I don't get scraped again, maybe a thin plastic binder used for making quickie booklets.
Harry did a review on the musclechuck also there is a forum members discount

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Can you stick on duct tape or electrical tape for a quickie fix?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree with Bill on the power switch. I always forget to turn it off when raising to change a bit and it won't lock. I use a momentary foot pedal for mine so the power switch is always in the on position. I have wanted a MuscleChuck but refuse to use PayPal after a previous fraudulent charge with that service plus their high shipping cost. Rockler does not carry the type 8 for the Triton. I will have to keep searching.

Rich

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is a really useful review. I had been thinking of buying the smallest one as a second router, but after seeing how close it is in size to the MOF001 that I already have, I'll save my money!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have wanted a MuscleChuck but refuse to use PayPal after a previous fraudulent charge with that service plus their high shipping cost. Rockler does not carry the type 8 for the Triton. I will have to keep searching.

Rich
Add me to the long list of people who despise Paypal.

My reason is because the last time I used them - several years ago now - they managed to affect my computer with a trojan. Fleabay did the same thing on the same transaction. Took me several days to clean the mess up.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great reviews.
Thinking about giving a triton router a try

@tchouken Don't think you'll go wrong with a TRA001 (the big one) for table use. I think for me (old guy) that it is too heavy to use for hand held use, although the smaller ones are very interesting. The TRA001's sheer power means you can handle any wood variety you want to use.

Before you make a choice, think carefully about how you might use it. For general purpose use and if you are NOT going to buy multiple routers, start with a Bosch 1617. You will always be using it later for free hand use, but when you decide you want full power in your table, go for the Triton and set the Bosch to freehand and plunge use.

What has been most helpful to me on routing has been watching the videos of Mark Sommerfeld, who was and is a skilled cabinet maker. No freehand router work, all done at the table.

Finally, his table uses a Woodpecker router plate with a twist lock insert system for quick bit changes. There are a couple of other plates with this twist lock system, but the Woodpecker is a bit thicker and larger than many other plates and I really like mine. For doors and many other operations, I have Sommerfeld bit sets because they are really easy to set up and use.

Hope this is helpful to you in making choices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts