Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make training videos to show poeple how to use DesignEdge software, which is for PlasmaCAM CNC plasma tables. However, I made this video to introduce those people to Google Sketchup

I really enjoy working with this program. It is so EASY to learn, and to design practically anything.

Joe

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I agree about Sketchup's value. I use it to model up things I want to 3D print as I can export them as .stl files. My CNC software of choice is vectric's Aspire and it can import Sketchup files directly. I haven't actually used that feature, as Aspire is a great drafting program on its own.
4D

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Like it, Easy to follow.

I had an earlier version (2013) and when I installed it. it came up that it was a trial version and would expire in x minutes....

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Hi Joe, I did find the version you mentioned. Now to add this to my time schedule.....LOL

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am using 2017 Sketchup but it won't open later dated files 2018 to 2022. I am not a fan of expire ware so I have not bought into Sketchup. Even the Desktop version(web version often locks up while drawing) will expire each year. I like the one time fee and then I buy updates as and when I feel the need for them. I can import the new files into Vcarve Pro and have a look at them but they are so riddled with open/crossed/doubled vectors it's more work to fix it then to just draw the part yourself. I have several programs I have upgraded many times some of them are several hundred dollars each time but they don't expire.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not to be a wet towel but I gave up using Sketch-Up for Fusion 360 free educational version. I had too much trouble getting parts aligned and changing add-ons to get the functionality I wanted. Fusion 360 was no fun either for the first couple of projects till I found the videos below. Now I wouldn't go back. My mind works like my shop. Mill (design) all the pieces. Then put them together. Fusion 360 also has built in G-code generator for CNC. I haven't tried it and probably won't since I have spent a lot of time writing post-processors for my Vcarve Pro software.
This is the Fusion 360 training

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Joe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will post a list of YouTube videos you should look at to help you learn. It like all other software is like a book. What that means is that it had a "lead" author/programmer who's thought processes and work flow are predominate in the way the software works. There are several gotchas I have found that will cause you misery.
1. Fusion 360 Starts out making bodies by default. You need to change that to making components
2. There are 2 ways to make a copy - one makes copies that are linked together the other makes independent copies
3. Start off using parametric modeling so if you need to change model size it can be done automatically. So you can draw a cabinet once and resize by adjusting a few numbers
If the administrators of Router forums would like I can start a new thread for Fusion 360 beginners with and without cnc so we can minimize the learning curve.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the forum, Joe.

I was WONDERING why you were welcoming me. Then I realized that somehow ... I established another account here.

My sleep schedule is WAY OFF. for all I know, I could have done that in my SLEEP :unsure:

Please DELETE the other one (blurry face avatar) Thanks.

The REAL Joe Jones 😁

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear that Fusion 360 is an awesome program. I have not set the time aside to learn it though. It sucks, getting old!

Joe

Those are my words, and I remember writing them, but for the life of me, I don't remember logging into this forum two days ago. SCARY.

Hello? Rubber Room Hotel? I'd like a King suite please ... Yes, It will be an extended stay .... Can I forward my mail to you there?

Joe
"The Hobbyist"

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
That may have been a bot, copying you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts