Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had built a homemade router table and fence. It was nothing fancy, but I thought it would work for a while. After discovering how lousy it is to use, I decided to start over and got a Sommerfeld top and fence.

I read some reviews where some tables were not flat after they put them together. Some gave it a very low score because of that. My table had the same problem.

For what it costs, you would expect it to be a bolt together/ready to go project. Even though it wasn't, I was able to get the table perfectly flat in about 20 minutes using some 1/64" gasket material.

The table was predrilled for a Triton router, so I used the baseplate to mark holes for my Makita 3612c.

Attachments

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Nice work David , thanks for sharing . Kind of a shame a guy has improvise to make something right, that should have been right to begin with . But you conquered it :)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I agree David I would have thought Sommerfield would be first class. It looks like a nice table and I am glad you got it flat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cabinet under the top is supposed to be temporary until I get things going in my shop and can build something better. Unfortunately, some of my temporary fixtures in the past have become semi-permanent because of no money, time, incentive, etc.

I posted my simple top "fix" to possibly help someone else that gets an unlevel top. Forty years ago, if you had given me that top and asked me to make it flat, I wouldn't have had a clue on what to do. I started working when I was 16 and was blessed to have many jobs that taught me how to repair/McGyver many different things.

I may let Marc know what I did, but to me, the flaw isn't bad enough to send it back. If the top had required machining of some kind to fix it, I would have contacted him about a replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.