Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The mahogany runabout reminds me of the 50s when the Chris Craft boats were so popular. Several years ago I saw a fellow getting gas in his truck and had one on a trailer. Questions revealed it was a reproduction built in NY state, if I recall. Those are really nice, stick. Afraid to see the cost.
Edit: I took the plunge- you need time and a good credit card. And I thought fishing was expensive.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
24 Posts
The mahogany runabout reminds me of the 50s when the Chris Craft boats were so popular. Several years ago I saw a fellow getting gas in his truck and had one on a trailer. Questions revealed it was a reproduction built in NY state, if I recall. Those are really nice, stick. Afraid to see the cost.
Edit: I took the plunge- you need time and a good credit card. And I thought fishing was expensive.
My folks own a lake house and one of the gentlemen on their cove owns a Chris Craft from that era. I don't know if he's had it restored or if it's just been kept in impeccable condition for years, but it is by far the prettiest boat on the lake. He puts it in the water just about every weekend, so it certainly gets its workout. Gorgeous boats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
now adays the can fetch a half million dollars...

Hackerboat.com: View All Hacker-Craft Boat Models
Never asked the neighbor what he figures his is worth, but based on what we know some other boats on the lake went for I'd say $500,000 is definitely in the ballpark, maybe even a tad low! Boats like that aren't for folks who make rational decisions about their money!

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Never asked the neighbor what he figures his is worth, but based on what we know some other boats on the lake went for I'd say $500,000 is definitely in the ballpark, maybe even a tad low! Boats like that aren't for folks who make rational decisions about their money!
Like me.

Herb

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Back in 1975 Cleveland I met a man that was in an RC club that made RC controlled scale model ships, in particular military warships and staged WWII era sea battles at YMCA swimming pools.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine is a work in progress of the 1:85 scale plank on frame model of the US Constellation, American Frigate 1798. I still have a long way to go. 1st layer of planking is finished. It has been a real learning experience. The hull is 25" long. The model kit is from Artesania Latina and the included instructions are lacking a lot in clarity of construction. Fortunately, there are a lot of Youtube videos these days that have helped me considerably. At the current pace, it will be several more years before I complete it. It goes in spurts for me. I will get a portion done and then take a long break to do other projects and hobbies. The cool thing is the real restored ship is moored in Baltimore harbor so I was able to visit it and take a lot of photos when my son was in attending medical school in Maryland.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these kinds of builds have got to be the best...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
289 Posts
Built a few (airflex models) when I were young. Graet fun. Nowadays, spare time, like wood scraps, are a myth!!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Back in the late 50's a friend of mine bought a Hacker hull that had been stripped of everything and left to the elements for about 10 years. He also bought a Cris-Craft that had exploded and burned to the water line. I helped him recover and restore all the hardware from the Cris-Craft and then clean up the Hacker.

It turned out that someone had fiberglassed the bottom up to the water line, so the bottom was in great shape. A lot of sanding brought the rest of the hull and deck back to the bare wood. An engine from a low mileage wrecked 56 Thunderbird became the power for it, and a 54 Ford Victoria dash board fit the front cockpit nicely. New center hatch covers over the motor had to be built to match the rest of the deck (my job) and all of the hardware from the Cris-Craft was put on it. The fire never hurt the chromed brass. A little cleaning and buffing brought it all back to new condition. He re-built and sold the motor from the Cris-Craft and an auto upholstery friend of his traded favors with him and installed red and white pleated leather upholstery in the front and rear cockpits, with a big heavy bumper roll around the edge of each cockpit edge. He had less than $1,500 cash, plus our hours in it when we finished it.

It was fast, and threw a bow spray about 100 feet to each side of it when doing 50-60. We almost drowned a fisherman one day when we went by him too close. I haven't seen him in 45 years, so I have no idea if he still has it, but it sure was great fun to fly up and down the Hudson River in it. It would pull as many skiers as were willing without even affecting it's speed.

Charley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts