Router Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
get a piece of wood cut in the direction that i think is away from the grain finding long trails of wood not shavings and winding up with firewood because i am cutting to deep what the hell am i doing wrong doing it in stages a small bit at a time.First i cut the tongue this is were i get the long thick shavings.my wood is 3/4 thick and i am cutting 2 recess for the tongue using a 1/4 bit using a boch a500 in a router table.help and i haven't any idea what wood i am using could be pine not a red wood Lucky you can get any wood in Britain :confused::

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
get a piece of wood cut in the direction that i think is away from the grain finding long trails of wood not shavings and winding up with firewood because i am cutting to deep what the hell am i doing wrong doing it in stages a small bit at a time.First i cut the tongue this is were i get the long thick shavings.my wood is 3/4 thick and i am cutting 2 recess for the tongue using a 1/4 bit using a boch a500 in a router table.help and i haven't any idea what wood i am using could be pine not a red wood Lucky you can get any wood in Britain :confused::
Hi, sounds like you may be using an upspiral bit. I usually get wound up strands of fiber when using one of those types of bits with pine. Upspiral will also be trying to pull itself up but haven't noticed it actually happening. Try a regular two flute straight bit.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi david

It just may be the lumber or the way it was milled,,I have seen some heart wood from pine act like that if it's bit green that is...I would say try some other lumber and give it a go..or use a Good Sharp bit..pine will dull a bit it short order or to say fill up with pitch on the cutters..

========

1 - 3 of 3 Posts