Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use to remove the grease and oil on a new piece of equipment? I put together my jointer yesterday, and am scratching my head as to what the best thing to use, is. The bed and fence are covered in the stuff.

Thanks!

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
I had a similar problem with my tablesaw. WD-40 worked, but the bit cleaner that came with the Boeshield T-9 kit worked pretty good as well. Used a white (ultra-fine) scotchbrite pad and most of it came off fairly easy. I'm sure that most any degreaser would work pretty well.

Enjoy your new toy!

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Wd-40, or other "degreaser" works. However, once you remove the grease, it is suggested that you cover that machine with a wax of some sort to help prevent any rusting. Thus, why you have grease an oil on the machines.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi: You can use kerosene or home heating oil to remove the grease> together with a scotch brite pad. The oil base will not cause rust but if you wipe off the oil then you should use a rust preventer,> Make sure anything you use does not contain Silicone,
as that will get onto your wood and screw up any finish you may use later. Woodnut65

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.