Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all. Thanks for having me on the forum. Much appreciated.
I've just started the whole woodwork thing and plan to build my own 3-in-1 DIY table saw with router and jigsaw. Rather than go new, I bought a used router with accompanying bits on Ebay to just get used to things before I go bigger and better. It's a Black & Decker kw800 710w. Bits are 1/4" Piranha. When ai put them into the collet and tie the nut they still just flop out without even touching the sides. I've used the spanner and all. Could it have a 8mm collet on perhaps? I'm at a loss.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Metric collet and Imperial bits don't mix. Collets are incredibly precise, a few thousandths is enough movement to tighten it up. Here's a pix of the parts of a collet, just FYI.

I have also attached a pdf of the 18 plus things that really sped up my learning curve. Note that it's long, but has pictures. And I did it over a period of a decade, my peak earning years, so don't think you have to do it all at once. Ask lots of questions, we love to give the next bunch of woodworkers a leg up.

Stick will be along shortly with a set of pdfs that are as good as any two or three books on woodworking. Be sure you read through them. Safety is a huge issue in woodworking!

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
18,749 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It may depend on which country you are in or where you bought the router? On Ebay? Some countries use 8mm or 12mm.

Some use 1/4" or 1/2".

Reactions: harrysin

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
1/4" translates as 6.25 mm.
8 mm bits dont translate well at all.
1/2" bits are 12.5 mm.
There are 12 mm bits in the world, but so far havent seen any personally.
you need a reasonable quality vernier caliper for woodwork anyway, so buy one and check out what you have.

DO NOT EVER attempt to mix and match any size router bits, injury and possible maiming will occur.

·
Registered
537 Posts
@wlamprecht
Sounds like you are located east of the Atlantic (and possibly south of the Equator?).

I have an older, but almost identical B&D - only 400W, still use it from time to time. It came with 6mm, 1/4" and 8mm collets. Sunnybob is right - get a vernier. If your bits are true 1/4" (not to be taken for granted because it said so in the advert), they would not fit into a 6mm collet, but would swim in the 8mm one. BTW, I am assuming there is a collet in place? Looks like the one in Tom's diagram, but simpler.

As an aside, I would not recommend mounting that router in a table - the motor housing on mine has a collar (like that on a power drill for the auxiliary handle) that fits into a socket in the plunge mechanism. Perhaps it is just mine, but the motor body slips slightly under axial load, altering the depth of plunge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts