Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Out There,
I use a 1983 Shopsmith (SS) Mark V (upgraded to a Model 520), for my main plunge router along with a Bosch 1613 EVSPK. I would like to find out how many Woodworkers in the Forum have similar equipment profiles and to discuss upgrading my SS to an Over-Arm/Pin Router? Also, has anyone had luck in finding a dust extractor for the Bosch 1613 EVSPK?
Thanks,
Frank

·
Official Greeter
18,790 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Frank.

You must be very happy with the Shopsmith, Frank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James,

G'day Mate!

Thanks for the "Welcome" note. And, in response to your question, yes I am very happy with my Shopsmith (SS) system mainly because of the flexibility that the whole system affords me in my woodworking projects. Since my shop space is so small (18"x9'), it really helps having the ability to use one major machine with such sub-system flexibility and helps limit my having to move equipment units around.

I was very impressed by the extent of your shop equipment! With such a diverse set of main units, how do you keep the different accessories under control? Additionally, I am curious as to how your shop electrical feeder system (main box and such) support the equipment? I am always looking for information regarding how woodworkers electrify their shops. I plan on extending my shop's electrical connections now that I have added a Delta Dust collection system.

Again, thanks for the notes.

Frank

"Walk softly on Mother Earth."

·
Official Greeter
18,790 Posts
Electrical feeder system???

Your welcome.

I was very impressed by the extent of your shop equipment! Thanks

With such a diverse set of main units, how do you keep the different accessories under control? I do not have a great number of accessories, just a few jigs that I have made myself. They are not "under control"....LOL they just rest where I can fit them.

Additionally, I am curious as to how your shop electrical feeder system (main box and such) support the equipment? All my wood working is done of the house power. I do not have any power to my tiny shed. I just use an extension lead from a power switch in the car port. I usually only have ONE item running at a time so power is not a problem. In Australia we have a 240v 10amp system which is adequate for most use. The only 240V 15amp item I have is the table saw, and I was lucky to have a dedicated switch for the A/C unit that I run an extension lead to the saw.

I am always looking for information regarding how woodworkers electrify their shops. I plan on extending my shop's electrical connections now that I have added a Delta Dust collection system. There are many post on the forum where the members have discussed their power set ups. I am not in that league. Even the dust collection system I am going to purchase needs only 240V 10 amp plug so I will be able to run the saw or jointer with the DC unit without any additional power requirements.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James,

Thanks for your responses to my amateur questions. I completely forgot that "Down-under" is on 240/10! The reason why I inquired is that I have had to jury rig my power supply since my Shopsmith pulls a huge power bite when started on any speed level other than Very-Low and with the Delta dust collector pulling another amp load, they end up tripping the junction box. Anyway, many thanks for the notes.

I really enjoyed the picture of your shop/shed. Your router cabinet is great! I especially enjoyed the grass and idyllic garden setting. Since I live north of Phoenix, AZ here in the Southwest Desert, there is no grass except on the nearby golf courses. Although I moved out here from the East Coast nearly 20 years ago, I do miss the feel of green grass under my feet now-and-again.

Again, many thanks and keep on routing.

Frank

"Walk softly on Mother Earth"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James,

Oh, I forgot to respond to your question about my being happy with my Shopsmith (SS) system. Sorry. That is a great question and I had to think about it a little before responding. After all, having woodworking equipment actually is an emotional thing with me. I guess I sort of get that from my Dad.

Since I was in the US Army during my younger years acquiring my SS system allowed me to have a fairly competent, multi-function, machine for rough and fine woodwork when I lived in military-provided housing around the world. And, as I added additional accessories (bandsaw and 4" jointer) to the base SS system I was able to keep up with not only the various household "honey-dos" demands. I reached the level of building window-seat cabinetry as well as general carpentry for building out a basement in my last home in Washington, DC.

Since I have now finished three careers; Army Officer (20 years), university software visiting scientist (16 years), and Chief Software Engineer for satellites (6 years), I am "stabilized" here in the Southwest United States and trying to refocus my woodworking out of a single-bay garage shop. This refocusing has allowed me to begin to round-out my SS system for completeness, easy access and therefore more productivity. I have always wanted to build finished cabinetry and I hope my SS system-centered shop will support that work.

So, short answer to the SS system question is that I probably was only able to reach my middling-level of woodworking expertise through the use of the SS system. Otherwise I would have fallen out of woodworking altogether. That would have really made me unhappy since I believe working with wood is engrained in me. After all, I had wanted to become a Forrest Ranger before I went off to war in Viet Nam so many years ago.

Are there any special "tool-relationships" between you and your equipment?

Thanks,

Frank

"Walk softly on Mother Earth"

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Howdy Frank,
Here's another SS user. An MKV with a Jointech Saw Train/router table and the band saw, too. I've had the SS since 1975. I use both a HF 2hp DC and a smaller Jet DC. The Jet is dedicated to the little bench top planer. Jointing is done on an ancient (1976) 6" Craftsman jointer.
I enjoy using the SS and do so every day.
I am also in the SW, Snowflake AZ. Where are you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts