Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started working with wood with my dad about age 9 but college, marriage, military, two sons and what all limited my wood projects until about ten years ago when I retired. Wanted to do something other than sit around the house so I tried fishing but skin cancer put a stop to that and golfing, cannot sit still long enough to read books or play with computers. Met a guy that is a wood turner he got me started. Buying a lathe meant I needed to get the essentials; table saw, bandsaws (2), drill press, belt sander, planer and well, you know. My wife of over 60 years got interested now we collaborate on many projects such as boxes, trays wine racks and more.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello Alan, welcome to the forums...
We're happy you found us...

KUDOS to you and your wife...

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum,Alan

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Started working with wood with my dad about age 9 but college, marriage, military, two sons and what all limited my wood projects until about ten years ago when I retired. Wanted to do something other than sit around the house so I tried fishing but skin cancer put a stop to that and golfing, cannot sit still long enough to read books or play with computers. Met a guy that is a wood turner he got me started. Buying a lathe meant I needed to get the essentials; table saw, bandsaws (2), drill press, belt sander, planer and well, you know. My wife of over 60 years got interested now we collaborate on many projects such as boxes, trays wine racks and more.
Welcome aboard Alan. All in all I'd have to say you're on a good streak...less the skin cancer. The fact your wife is active in your woodworking is a huge plus, at least I think is would be. Looking forward to what you and your wife post of your projects. Pictures are great and easy to posy by dragging them from you computer folder to the space below that says "Drag and Drop File Upload. Always interested in others ideas and methods.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Alan! Add your first name to your profile to clear the N/a in the side panel and add your location to your profile, as well.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking and turnings are you planning or doing?

David

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Alan.

I have several husband/wife teams for customers. Most of them the wife does the designing and the husband does the hands-on woodworking. There are two couples that both design and both work in the shop.

I look forward to seeing pictures of a few projects from your team.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
G'day Alan. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Hello, Alan...welcome to the Forum. You and your wife will enjoy the time you spend on here. Very knowledgeable folks and it sure sounds like you're going to fit in. Be sure to jump in on any topic...sounds like you have much to offer with your experiences.

Great thing that your wife is involved...makes justifying tool purchases so much easier.

Let us know if you need any help spending money on tools...we're sooooo good at that...:grin:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@Alan East...

We've gathered together a bunch of pertinent/relative information on routering in this here link ...
You should find everything (at least most) helpful... Enjoy...

Do take some time to read the safety PDF's... PLEASE!!!
Blood and trips to the ER, we find, are very annoying... Not to mention – expensive...

We welcome all questions here on about any subject you can come up w/ also but something tells me you'll be an asset here....
Like @Nickp said, we excel and are well versed at spending your money...

Reactions: Nickp
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.