Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
Wow, making instruments is exacting work. How was the sound? I am fascinated by violins and other stringed instruments with curved tops and back. I have an old one that I keep thinking I should refurbish. Perhaps you know of a place where I can buy parts? Glad you decided to join in. I can say that we would all love to see pictures of your projects as you're doing them. Only a few here are luthiers. I like using hand planes and I've often run across miniature planes for use in shaping curved instrument back. And btw, welcome. Hope you'll be active here, and we'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
Wow, nice response, lots of detail. The violin is not particularly valuable, and it's pretty beat up. I do love to use scrapers. Far better finish than sandpaper. I suspect that's why some of the older violins look and sound pretty good. Finish is something I'll research if I do give it a go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.