Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My name is Peter. I am from Montreal, Canada. I have never used a router before but hope to learn a few things from the fine folks here at Router Forums. I purchased the router in the hope that I could accomplish several things with it in the future but specifically to cut out the slats in a bunch of acoustic panels that I plan on building in the not too distant future. I hope that it is alright for me to attach a photo of said acoustic panel. Thank you for having me. Cheers. Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that's looking good Peter...

Reactions: peterbata

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Peter! Like Stick said, looking good. Glad you're here and we're looking forward to having you jump in on discussions and post more photos of your projects.

David

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Peter

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Peter and welcome. There are quite a few of us from the Great White North here. You came to the right place. Lot's of helpful people here to help when you need it.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Welcome Peter. You certainly will find all the help you need here or if in the very rare occasion a strong suggestion as to where to find the needed help. I'haven't been here long but long enough to know it is a rich resource and not only for router usage. Ask your questions and learn from some great skills people. And please post you projects, questions, and progress.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome. By the way, those are the panels that I plan on building. They are NOT something that I have built myself. It is basically what I am shooting for. I hope that the used but very clean Craftsman 200 is going to help me accomplish just that. Otherwise, I just threw away a few $$$. Oh well, let my routing journey begin. Much reading to do.

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
Welcome, glad you decided to join the fun. That is a really nice looking project. Nice clean lines and solid construction. Are you going to roundover the edges using a top bearing roundover bit?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hi Peter,

Finally another Montrealer !!! Yeah ! Welcome/ Bienvenue

I no longer live on the Island, I moved out west to St Clet, just past St Lazare. My son is in the process of building a recording studio and has taught me much about acoustics and sound waves. I also operate a fine woodworking school on Saturday mornings. I went to school with some Batas in Joliette.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Peter,

Finally another Montrealer !!! Yeah ! Welcome/ Bienvenue

I no longer live on the Island, I moved out west to St Clet, just past St Lazare. My son is in the process of building a recording studio and has taught me much about acoustics and sound waves. I also operate a fine woodworking school on Saturday mornings. I went to school with some Batas in Joliette.

Cheers,
Dan
Hello Dan / Bon matin.

What a coincidence. I'm actually in Laval. That would have been the Battahs in Joliette. I remember my dad taking us up there on a few occasions. I believe that the family operated clothing stores if I'm not mistaken. Our family names are spelled differently (we use one "T") but am sure that there is some connection somewhere / somehow.

Interested in knowing more about how your son's project is coming along and about your woodworking class. I assume that it takes place in your neighborhood? Thanks for welcoming aboard!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome, glad you decided to join the fun. That is a really nice looking project. Nice clean lines and solid construction. Are you going to roundover the edges using a top bearing roundover bit?
Good morning @DesertRatTom. Yes I do plan on rounding over the edges. As soon as I figure out how to use that router I bought a few days ago. And what I did last night was to purchase a Craftsman router table to go along with it. Someone who just happened to live close by was selling it online. He had assembled it but never got around to using it. So, it is brand new. I was worried that it might not fit in my van. Oh was I wrong. It's this tiny little thing. Hopefully, it will do the job for now. Did I pay too much I wonder $50.00

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Peter,
I have had and used the same table that you bought for many years. I am in the process of building a floor model that will be much better. That table is good for small pieces, not the pieces you showed that you want to make. So you will have to rout the pieces individually before assembly. If you forget to rout one area you can do it hand held. I suggest you practice on many pieces with different bits to get the hang of it. I have an old Black & Decker router mounted in that table and have done many profile mouldings with it.
Dan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.