Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and Best Holiday wishes to all of you,

I am a new member to the Router Forum. You can call me Dave. I live in Manitowoc Wisconsin and I enjoy woodworking. I am a novice to say the least. Now that I am retired I will have some extra time to improve my skills. The router has always intregued me. I have and inexpensive B&D that is attacted to an even less expensive table. Now I would like to buy a better router and I have been doing some research. MY friend told me to make sure I get a plunge router but I would like some other opinions.

Anyway thanks for the warm welcome
Dave

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hello Dave

Greetings and Best Holiday wishes to all of you,

I am a new member to the Router Forum. You can call me Dave. I live in Manitowoc Wisconsin and I enjoy woodworking. I am a novice to say the least. Now that I am retired I will have some extra time to improve my skills. The router has always intregued me. I have and inexpensive B&D that is attacted to an even less expensive table. Now I would like to buy a better router and I have been doing some research. MY friend told me to make sure I get a plunge router but I would like some other opinions.

Anyway thanks for the warm welcome
Dave
Hello Dave, Welcome to the forum! One quick note; It helps Us to help You, and find You easier if You would add Your name on the profile page. If You are going to add a router to Your table, It is better to have a standard base. For hand held, a plunge is best. Have You ever thought about one router with two bases? That is the best of both worlds. Now You can use the router both in, and out of the Table. The other thing is; that a table need not be expensive to be a good table. Some of the best tables are the ones with out all the bells and whistles. One router that I suggust is the Craftsman router. It has good ratings by several testers, and is a great buy. This Christmas prices were around $70.00 too $80. 00.. and it is a good one:) Hope that helps You, And good routing and a Happy new year!

·
Official Greeter
19,744 Posts
Hi dave,

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Dave and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Howard (Dutchman 46)
Thank-you for your comments and warm wishes. I took your advice and bought a Porter Cable 690. I can then get the extra plunge base. The PC 690 was on sale and I liked the feel. I did look at the Sears combination reouter. When I took it out of the box at the store a plastic part that marks the depth fell of and broke. I took that to be an omen.

Now all I need is some better weather as my garage is not heated and we are have some cold zero degrees stuff. I liked Dr. Zooks comment that there is no scrap wood, just fire wood. Soon I will be making a lot of fire wood.

Again, Thank-you for the warm welcome from Howard and all others who sent me comments and good wishes. I do like the scripture quotes as I like to think of my boss as a Jewish carpenter.

Dave Dehring
PS I am having some difficulty getting around in this forum so please bear with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.