Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I had a Grizzly 10" contractor saw and a 14" bandsaw. Both were at the cheaper end of their line. At first I was impressed with the cast iron tables and such where similarly priced machines had stamped steel. Both had motors which were strong enough and the motors never gave me any trouble. If I were doing carpentry tasks, both machines would be plenty accurate.

However, after a while I found both had slop in their mechanisms which defied accurate adjustment. I could spend an hour adjusting the blade parallel to the miter slots. It would stay in place until I tilted it. When brought back into position, the blade would be out of adjustment again. The problem was that the half-moon sector that serves as the trunnion was cast of pot metal instead of machined from steel. There was just too much slack in the system to get consistent alignment.

The bandsaw had a steel casting that the guide post slid up and down in. Problem was, the casting was off by a tiny bit. If I adjusted the blade guides properly, all was fine until I moved the guide up for thicker material. Because the guide post was not parallel to the blade, I had to adjust the guide all over again.

I've replaced both of these machines with top-of-the-line models from other manufacturers. I paid 4 or 5 times as much for the new machines. I wouldn't be "afraid" of Grizzly. They're sturdy machines, they're just not precision machines at the lower price points. If you're just starting out, they make the price of admission easier to swallow. But if you stay with the hobby, you'll probably outgrow them someday.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.