Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm not new here but don't swing by often. I saw a local used Rikon 10-321 for $450 which I thought a good deal since I could pick up locally. My wife was against it saying I should buy something new with warranty. I have a little 9" piece of crap Delta that can hardly cut a straight line so anything would be an improvement, can't believe that thing has no thrust bearing! Anyway, so I started looking and had 2 thoughts. I could get the Grizzly G0555LX currently $899 + 150 shipping or the G0555 for $699 + 150 shipping. The only difference I see between these on the Grizzly site says the guide post adjustment is different/bettter for LX. I've seen some people say the LX has my HP, but the website doesn't say that.

So the other thing I'm thinking is the Rikon 10-325. I can get it for $1200 and pick it up at a local Woodcraft store, so not paying a bunch of money for shipping. I realize it is about $150 more than the LX, but money isn't too much of an issue. I'm also open to other suggestions but would want to stay close to the $1000 price mark as I'm just an amateur. Oh, and I'm in the Washington DC area. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hi all,
I'm not new here but don't swing by often. I saw a local used Rikon 10-321 for $450 which I thought a good deal since I could pick up locally. My wife was against it saying I should buy something new with warranty. I have a little 9" piece of crap Delta that can hardly cut a straight line so anything would be an improvement, can't believe that thing has no thrust bearing! Anyway, so I started looking and had 2 thoughts. I could get the Grizzly G0555LX currently $899 + 150 shipping or the G0555 for $699 + 150 shipping. The only difference I see between these on the Grizzly site says the guide post adjustment is different/bettter for LX. I've seen some people say the LX has my HP, but the website doesn't say that.

So the other thing I'm thinking is the Rikon 10-325. I can get it for $1200 and pick it up at a local Woodcraft store, so not paying a bunch of money for shipping. I realize it is about $150 more than the LX, but money isn't too much of an issue. I'm also open to other suggestions but would want to stay close to the $1000 price mark as I'm just an amateur. Oh, and I'm in the Washington DC area. Thanks!
Hi Keith, I was in your shoes 6 or so years ago and narrowed it down to the two BS's you are looking at. I ended up picking the Grizzly and wish I had gone with the much better reviewed higher horse powered Rikon who by the way you dont have to buy a riser kit for it and install it yourself. That is $120 dollars for the riser kit, add that in with extra horse power and a bigger table and Rikon is the winner.

Good luck with your new tool purchase no matter which you choose. BTW you'll likely need a mobile base or you can make one yourself.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the warranty. The Rikon is good enough that they offer a 5 year warranty so even an older one will last. The Rikon brand and the Grizzly brand aren't in the same class. Usually, the choice is between the Rikon and the Laguna. In which case I would still say the Rikon. With the newer Rikon 325 in addition to the larger cutting capacity you will also get their bearing system which makes adjusting the bearings simple. I had to sell mine when I moved. I paid $850 for it on sale and sold it for $800 after 2 years. If it had been a Grizzly I would not have gotten anywhere near what I paid for it. As far as shipping there are stores online that offer free shipping. They usually go on sale a few times a year.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
I have a Laguna 14-twelve and love it. But I also have a small Rikon 10 inch that I use far more often. In you case, I'd go with the used Rikon. Grizzly is OK, but I don't think it's got the stamina of the Rikon or Laguna. I like new tools, but for the price difference you can get a couple of other nice items or indulge in some really nice wood. Don't forget you will also have to buy a few basic high end blades to get the most out of your saw. Add another hundred or so bucks for those, more if you buy a 3/4" carbide tipped resaw blade and add $100 more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have a Grizzly store with in 15 miles of my house. I have a Grizzly 17" and have resawn 12" round logs 4' long with it Maple, Oak, Walnut, Cedar. It's been a great tool. Depending on your need of course. I use my delta 12" bandsaw on a daily basis and I had 2 of the 9" delta's many years ago for some Church Scout Crafting. They were for portable crafting events. I was thinking of buying the 19" 5 hp grizzly for resawing logs. Anything you buy will be better than the what you have. Yet we made lots of Pinewood Derby cars on those 9" machines. Happy buying. Grizzly has good stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all,

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would consider the BS usage you have in mind. If you want to make bandsaw boxes, I'd suggest a minimum of 8" throat cutting capacity. Which means you probably would prefer a BS with a 14" throat cutting capacity. The Grizzly G0555 is a good bandsaw, but only has a 6" throat cutting capacity, unless you buy a riser kit. The other consideration is the electrical outlet (120v or 220v) you plan on using. Are you wired for 220v or just 120v. I'm wired for 120v, so 110v or 120v is good for me. 110v or 120v is easier to sell later in the future (not everybody is wired for 220v or 240v).

If your a hobby woodworker, the used Rikon 10-321 may be a good deal. the price is right. A used BS similar to the Rikon 10-321 sold in our area at auction for $775 recently. I stopped bidding at $750.

I have Grizzly and Rikon machines in my shop. Both brands have been performing well for me. I do like the 5 yr warranty that Rikon offers, vs. 1 yr that Grizzly offers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Rikon 10-326 I purchased about 3 yrs ago. Other than picking up some different blades for it and replacing the throat guard <unfortunate mishap> I have no problems with it. I don't do any re-sawing but I have made lots of bowl blanks and other things from logs I've picked up here and there. I am happy with it.

- ebill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts