Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to routing and this is my first project. I'm essentially building a box out of HDPE, which is held by screws.

I'm cutting grooves in 1/2 HDPE plastic board using 31/64" router bit. When I measure the bit, it comes out to 0.4885" and when I measure the board, it comes out to 0.495", so I have about 1/100" difference.
I can't really wedge it in, it should be snug, but removable.
I don't have a micro-adjuster, so I was doing the tiniest bumps on the fence, but it's very imprecise.
Is there a technique I could use to get the precision I need?

Thank you

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's how I do it. Try it on scrap wood until you get the fit right.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Put an appropriate spacer between piece and fence (card, tape, paper, etc), butt to fence, clamp piece, remove spacer, move fence to piece, turn on, make sawdust...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
2 things.

1) Typically there's no 1/1 relationship between cutter diameter and the cutter pathway width. Way way too many variables to chase here.

and

2) NickP has the solution.

Unless you have something like this:
A fence that adjusts continuously and is monitored x travel gage.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
2 things.

1) Typically there's no 1/1 relationship between cutter diameter and the cutter pathway width. Way way too many variables to chase here.

and

2) NickP has the solution.

Unless you have something like this:
A fence that adjusts continuously and is monitored x travel gage.
Holy smoke, what a gem. Do you have a name for that thing? Or is it a custom one off?

Reactions: mbar57

·
Registered
813 Posts
HDPE -UHMW and most of the poly type of plastic are HEAT sensitive which might be your culprit. Try slowing the speed of the router down a bit.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
"Holy smoke, what a gem. Do you have a name for that thing? Or is it a custom one off?"
It's an evolutionary thing, like last year's car; this year's always sees changes.
That thing started as a router table fence. Then when I understood how to move it back & forth I made a couple of prototypes for the drill press. Then I standardized the parts. It's essentially for drilling and positioning. I call it a Drill Press Fence.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
"Holy smoke, what a gem. Do you have a name for that thing? Or is it a custom one off?"
It's an evolutionary thing, like last year's car; this year's always sees changes.
That thing started as a router table fence. Then when I understood how to move it back & forth I made a couple of prototypes for the drill press. Then I standardized the parts. It's essentially for drilling and positioning. I call it a Drill Press Fence.
You know, considering all the money I waste on food and other essentially useless junk, like gasoline for instance...that's not bad.

Think I would mount mine in an expensive looking glass case with gold trimmed stuff around the outside. I have my thinking cap on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts