Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I hope that someone can help answer a question concerning guide bushings and the Milescraft sign kits. I have a Milescraft 1212 kit (Sears branded) and a DeWalt DWP611 plunge router. I haven't used either yet. I would prefer to use standard DeWalt/Porter Cable guide bushings rather than changing out the base to accomodate the Turnlock guides. The 7/16" guide bushing in the DeWalt set has the same dimensions as the Turnlock except for the nose. The Turnlock is 9/16" long and the DeWalt is 5/32". Someplace I saw a warning about using guide bushings with a short nose. The question is, can I use the shorter guide bushing with a 5/32 nose without concern? Does anyone know where I could get a standard Porter Cable/DeWalt mount 7/16 bushing with a longer nose? Thanks for any help or comments - I am a novice to this. Jim

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Letter Template Guides - Lee Valley Tools

========

Hello All. I hope that someone can help answer a question concerning guide bushings and the Milescraft sign kits. I have a Milescraft 1212 kit (Sears branded) and a DeWalt DWP611 plunge router. I haven't used either yet. I would prefer to use standard DeWalt/Porter Cable guide bushings rather than changing out the base to accomodate the Turnlock guides. The 7/16" guide bushing in the DeWalt set has the same dimensions as the Turnlock except for the nose. The Turnlock is 9/16" long and the DeWalt is 5/32". Someplace I saw a warning about using guide bushings with a short nose. The question is, can I use the shorter guide bushing with a 5/32 nose without concern? Does anyone know where I could get a standard Porter Cable/DeWalt mount 7/16 bushing with a longer nose? Thanks for any help or comments - I am a novice to this. Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information and your quick reply. I picked up the bushing from Lee Valley, and it's perfect. Since I wasn't planning ahead though, I find that the stock plate for the DWP611 isn't big enough to span the rails on the Signpro unless I am very careful. So lesson learned here, might was well stick with the Turnlock base and bushing. I've made a few signs since my post and have found that the Signpro is simple and works well.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Jim

Your Welcome and the Milescraft plate is a plus for almost any router,it will let you use up to a 2 1/2" bit with out remove the base plate..

========

Thanks for the information and your quick reply. I picked up the bushing from Lee Valley, and it's perfect. Since I wasn't planning ahead though, I find that the stock plate for the DWP611 isn't big enough to span the rails on the Signpro unless I am very careful. So lesson learned here, might was well stick with the Turnlock base and bushing. I've made a few signs since my post and have found that the Signpro is simple and works well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just picked up a Dewalt base and guide kit from home deopt. the router I just bought had a hole too large for normal guides. the Dewalt kit has two oversize bases and a set of guides that fit very snug into the bases. The base had to be drilled for my router, the kit comes with a step drill and paper tamplates for many many different routers. The guide I chose to use is the .400" and is long enough to use with the milescraft setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts