Router Forums banner

Gun Display Case (lots of pics)...

19K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Pigpopper 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a Display case I recently finished. I thought I'd share since there were lots of router processes on this project...

In order to keep the cost down I went with Poplar, stained to look like Mahogany. Given that old style lever actions were being displayed, I wanted to keep the look old with the times. Antique brass hardware was used for the hinges, cupboard latch and latches behind the fixed door.

I had to devise a system for leveling the guns (since each one's dimensions are different) without using any modern hardware. I was thinking of a T-Track type of system. See what I came up with.

Enjoy...

Carving up the tops and sides...

I pre-stained and put the first clearcoat on prior to assembly.
Makes the inside staining job easier and neater in the corners...

I inset the back 3/4" to allow for a 45º hanging cleat.
Its mate gets screwed to the wall. Case then just slides on...

I have my own way of using Kreg's beaded face frame system.
Once I have my layout marks on the stiles and rails, I just line them up
with the "in & out" marks on the table for the notching bit. No resetting or
moving stops etc. Most of all, no math! Making slight adjustments is simply
a matter of cheating the line a little...

Perfection!

And to think I use to do this old school with a tablesaw, chopsaw and a chisel...

This is the keyway I came up with. Its two pieces glued up...

I decided to use the back ("C" side) of the 3/4" maple plywood.
It had some interesting spalted patterns going on...

This is a 1/4"-20 T-bolt in the keyway with a section of wooden dowel that
I drilled a 1/4" hole through. Then I capped it with a wood knob that I threaded
with a 1/4-20 tap. To make adjustments, just loosen the knob, slide up or down,
then tighten the knob again.

The finished display case...

~

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks real good, very well done

#3 ·
Really nice job and I love the old lever actions. The poplar reminds me of ash. Just curious, why did you switch to pine or douglas fir for the one molding?

#5 ·
Hi Chuck

In order to stay with poplar, I would have had to get more (ran out), then drive to my buddy's shop and use his planer/molder. I don't have any large molding bits for the router as I have always used his molder. I had just enough of this 2" cove hanging around and figured with the stain it will blend enough. It was one of those things where I had to keep moving right along and finish to get on to the next project. That one piece of molding would eaten up a bunch of time. Besides, no one will notice. :laugh:

#6 ·
Very nice and well made. Great job on the finish.
I remark on another forum that wood gun cabinets are not secure. I advocate heavy metal or a safe. I speak from experience at having guns stolen from a cabinet like this one. Three were my late grandfather's- irreplaceable!

#15 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I really enjoy reading through everyones projects as well. I especially like the long winded ones with lots of pictures. The more eye candy the better.

I'm always picking up some little tip or trick from others on these forums. Or getting turned onto some tool or piece of hardware. Toys! Do we have great toys or what?

~

#18 ·
Beautiful cabinetry, Kerry.

Not a gun fan, but I can see the workmanship you put into the case.

#19 ·
Kerry, a great design well executed. Thank you for sharing this with us! Now you have to rout a sign that says: "Never mind the dog, beware of owner!"

#26 ·
Welcome to the forum, Richard.

#28 ·
BTW google quadrant hinge installation and you will find lots of other ideas

#29 ·
Nice display!

I should have made an enclosure for my long guns decades ago, my rack is open. I haven't fired any of them in well over 12 yrs but I have to pull them down and clean them once a yr. to remove dust and creeping rust we have wicked high moisture on the cape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.