Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very nice forum ! I have been out of production woodworking for about 7 years now. I ran a custom shop for about 10 years and then my wife and I decided to chuck it all and go sailing, which we have done for the past seven years. I have learned a lot about woodworking on a boat as opposed to standard mill and cabinet and it is a very different world. My experience prior to moving aboard the boat was with all the standard woods but not much experience with teak. Teak has proven to be a very different animal. I carry a fairly complete hand power tool complement aboard and have made a fair amount of upgrades on the boat. I ended up doing quite a bit of work with Corian also. The major difference in woodworking on a boat is there are no straight lines and nothing is square. Just about everything is done with routers, jigs and templates. Not much use for a chop box as there are very few cuts that are not curved in one fashion or another. My shop has consisted of two saw horses on deck and a disposable work bench, usually a piece of plywood. As there was no place to store it I generally just toss it out when we are done. My main tools are three 3610 Makita routers, Bosch saber saw and a Bosch 4 inch belt sander. Due to issues with our parents we have now settled in a permanent slip for the boat in Alamitos Bay CA and I have just rented shop space. Now I get to buy a new set of stationary tools ! Well hope you have enjoyed our brief saga. Paul

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Paul.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Paul,

I lived on a boat in Alamitos bay, right across from the swim beach near the entrance, it was a big old house on the corner in Naples island. A little old lady lived all by herself and had 4 slips and no boats.I got it for cheap. The neighborhood is pretty uptight and frown on a liveaboard, so it wasn't easy. I taught sailing by the Jolly Rodger restraunt, and also worked for the best sailboat rigger around there (Bahia Marine /Todd owner) you may need him. I miss sailing more than I can express with a keypad, but its your turn now. If need any advice from a former local let me know.

And welcome, I just got in here myself.
Eric

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,884 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts