Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here.

I have a project where I want to form a half ball rounded hole in a 60 x 60 mm piece of wood.

This will hold a 40mm diameter ball half way within the wood and half protruding.

I want the ball to fit snugly within so that it cannot move.

I cannot seem to find a drill or router bit for this task.

Is there an easy way to form this hole?

Thanks in advance.

MSAL

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Hey Newbie:

Would love to know who I'm talking to; can you change the N/A for your name? As for creating your crater, I would be one to trace the ball, and using a round nose bit, slowly work at it. But I'm a improviser, like some of the others on here.

Reactions: thomas1389

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Newbie:

Would love to know who I'm talking to; can you change the N/A for your name? As for creating your crater, I would be one to trace the ball, and using a round nose bit, slowly work at it. But I'm a improviser, like some of the others on here.
Thanks Barb

I can see that a Round Nose Cove router bit would do the job, but I'm struggling to find a bit 40mm in diameter? I've looked on-line generally and on ebay. I thought this would have been easy!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
He's looking for an exact fit Stick and I'm with him, I know of no manufacturer making a 40mm round nose bit. In Imperial it would be a little more than 1 17/32".

MSAL you can get Whiteside Manufacturing to make you one but it would be pretty pricey or maybe if you can find one that's 3/4" radius it might be close enough. The ball would sit a little higher than halfway but not much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the replies and information.

Since a 40mm radial bit will be bespoke and costly, I'm now thinking of forming the hole with a 40mm Hinge Hole Boring Cutter Wood Drill Bit Flat which are readily available. It won't be conical round, but should do what I want it to do.

Thanks all.

MSAL

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Two mating flats made w/ a fostner bit...
as soon as the rim of the bit touches the ball stop drilling...

·
Registered
715 Posts
MSAL,
I think you are on the right track. 40mm Forstner bits are fairly common. A cylindrical 40mm flat-bottomed hole, 20mm deep, will hold your ball exactly as you want it, with no complicated sanding, etc. The fact that it is not a half-round cup hole, will not be visible. If you want the ball to rotate in the hole, so much the better - only one friction point at the bottom of the hole. If you do not want it to rotate, one dab of hot-melt glue at the same location.
Interesting how one gets to overthink situations.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
MSAL,
I think you are on the right track. 40mm Forstner bits are fairly common. A cylindrical 40mm flat-bottomed hole, 20mm deep, will hold your ball exactly as you want it, with no complicated sanding, etc. The fact that it is not a half-round cup hole, will not be visible. If you want the ball to rotate in the hole, so much the better - only one friction point at the bottom of the hole. If you do not want it to rotate, one dab of hot-melt glue at the same location.
Interesting how one gets to overthink situations.
you could use the point from the fostner bit to accurately install a dowel, dowel screws or a blind nail...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.