Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Robert

I notice that you haven't yet been able to post a picture of your dilema and that you haven't got an answer to your problem.

I think I understand your problem and suggest that you need to think outside the box, or board, in this case. :p

Instead of trying to accomplish the answer with one piece of wood gusset, the problem can quite easily be solved using two pieces as follows.

Firstly, cut 2 blanks of 2 X 8 nominal to the identical size, then temporary attach the two pieces together using long wood screws in areas that you will not be cutting into. Put a mark on the inside of the piece to indicate the two inside faces before attaching them together.

Next, cut the arc profile on your band saw on the 4 X 8 nominal blank. Now remove the temporary screws from the gusset. Both pieces will now be matched with the same cutting irregularities and identical profile and are now ready for routing.

Chuck up a 3/4" cove bit with bearing in your table top router and route along your arc on the inside face of the half gusset. Route the two pieces in a least 3 passes to the overall height of 3/4 +/- " height .

When routing is completed for both pieces, simply screw or bolt the two halves together and you should have the concaved arch profile that you are looking for.

The resulting gusset will be 3 +/-" thick and have a 3/4 "side leg, that will provide lateral support to the gusset.

I am assuming you will be using U bolts or pipe hangers to attach the gussets to your metal framework.

I hope this simple solution is helpful and won't require you to pull out any more hair or lose any more sleep over your dilema and allow you to get on with your project. ;)

Route away.

:cool: :cool: Ric :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Robert

I have some concerns as to what you may be attempting to do !!!!
raising the bit and using a collet let the template follow the collet on the underside of the stock
I hope you mean "bearing or guide bushing" and not the :eek: " collet " :eek: as there is a good chance, that if you make contact to the collet, while the motor is powered up, it may loosen your router bit and cause either extensive damage to you, your router or both.

I am not sure you can raise the cove bit high enough to route properly while setting your router bit to the proper depth inside the collet as the shanks are fairly short to begin with, assuming you are using a 3/4 cove bit with top bearing?? Do not attempt to shorten the amount of shaft that goes into the collet as again dire consequences may result.

Hope I'm not too overly cautious here, but I would feel remorse if something were to happen that I could have prevented.

Please clear up any confusion and let us know how you make out with your project.

:cool: :cool: Ric :cool: :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.