Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long post.
Hi, this is my first post and its a doozy.
I'm converting a coverall building with the galvanized steel ribs into a greenhouse. I want to cut gussets for the ribs at the eaves where presently the rib is formed into an arc with a radius of about 8-10 in. The gussets would be cut out of a 2x8 or 2x10 material. The Idea is to conform on the inside with an arc and then extend the roof and wall lines till they intersect out over the arc making the roof and wall meet at the pitch angle.
I can cut the gussets OK on my bandsaw but I would like to router(?) the edge all along the arc to make it fit snug onto the top of the rib. This would mean I'd have to concave the arc of the gusset with a half-round profile to fit down over the round (top) of the rib.
I hope this makes sense. A simple diagram here would work wonders but I don't know how to get a diagram into the post, maybe I should draw it up, scan it to a file and attach it somehow. Can anyone enlighten me here? Just a shot in the dark.
The concave along the inside edge of the gusset would have to be a 3/4 in. radius or 1-1/2 in. half round.
Thanks .....Robert.
[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike: I have no doubt that this method would work admirably for a piece of straight edge stock. However since I need to make the cove on the inside of a curved piece of stock (on the edge) it would not work as it requires the stock to follow the bit along the arc.
The stock would only touch the fence at both ends of the curve.
I think I will try making the cuts with a template of hardboard and backsetting it and then raising the bit and using a collet let the template follow the collet on the underside of the stock.
Thanks for the input though ...............Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.