Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Joe.
What are you engraving with, CNC, laser, free hand? What material is it? If CNC or laser, what software?

Enough questions for now.
Gailen

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is called "SINTRA board" It is a medium density plastic that is used for signage and other outdoor, weather resistant applications. It is not PVC board, which is solid plastic. This looks a lot like particle board, except that the particles are plastic, rather than wood. It comes in several thicknesses. I have seen it two inches thick when I was working for Federal Signs out of Oceanside, CA. You can buy it from any plastics supply warehouse.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Joe.
What are you engraving with, CNC, laser, free hand? What material is it? If CNC or laser, what software?

Enough questions for now.
Gailen
I am using a Samson 510 CNC plasma cutting table, with a router mounted instead of a plasma torch. The router is a Bosch 2.25HP plunge router. The bit is a 3/8" 90-degree V-groove bit.

The software to make the image is Halftoner v1.4, by Jason Dorie, and it is FREE! :wink: (Send him a donation anyway)

The machine uses proprietary software from PlasmaCam, called "DesignEdge"

I bought the plasma table because I reasoned that I could route on a plasma table, but I could not plasma cut metals on a router table.

I am experimenting to see what else the machine can do, besides cut metal.

My FLICKR.COM photo album

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
Very impressive.

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a bit more sanding to do in order to finish my mom's portrait. Since the Sintra board is white, I can lighten up her face by sanding a bit more, to take the ridges down a bit, exposing more white board surface and less black groove fill. I'll post the final photo here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts