Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy is quite a handyman.

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Red Green has demonstrated the bizarre behavior of belt sanders. That's not an exageration. It takes lots of practice to get the doggone things to behave. I hate my belt sander. There, I've said it. A civilized belt sander would be fixed on a tool where you could bring the wood to it, not some over torqued, wild west bucking bronk of a tool. Sometimes I've wanted to shoot the darn thing, but instead it sits, unused, in its corral, waiting to die for want of sawdust. Good riddance, I say. Instead, saddle up the ROS. Not that I have strong feelings about this.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Red Green was one of my favorite shows. This may have been my favorite Handyman's Corner:

·
Registered
944 Posts
This guy had a weekly television show quite a few years ago. He is funny for sure but put a bad image to the USA thinking that Canadians were all like him. He has many videos on You Tube if you laughed with this one. You should see what he does with duct tape !!

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red Green is funnier than Tim Taylor. Just wish we had gotten Red Green instead of Justin Beiber. That would have meant we won the coin toss, instead of losing.
:crying:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks Theo that video was really funny. I have not heard of Red Green before.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Red Green has demonstrated the bizarre behavior of belt sanders. That's not an exageration. It takes lots of practice to get the doggone things to behave. I hate my belt sander. There, I've said it. A civilized belt sander would be fixed on a tool where you could bring the wood to it, not some over torqued, wild west bucking bronk of a tool. Sometimes I've wanted to shoot the darn thing, but instead it sits, unused, in its corral, waiting to die for want of sawdust. Good riddance, I say. Instead, saddle up the ROS. Not that I have strong feelings about this.
They're better suited to racing than to woodworking perhaps...

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
I've raced belt sanders before but never whilst sitting on one!

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom, your problem is, you are not thinking precision woodworking tool. What's not to love, they make noise, they produce a lot of sawdust quickly. Somewhat along the lines of a chainsaw, another precision woodworking tool. And a hand power plane, nothing beats one of them for rounding off a rough piece of wood in your wood lathe very rapidly, while making noise, and producing loads of wood chips.

Tell you what, if you'll send that belt sander along to me, heck I'll even pay postage, I'll introduce it to my belt sander, and maybe will be able to start raising landers. Just PM me and I'll give you my mailing address.

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Tom, your problem is, you are not thinking precision woodworking tool. What's not to love, they make noise, they produce a lot of sawdust quickly. Somewhat along the lines of a chainsaw, another precision woodworking tool. And a hand power plane, nothing beats one of them for rounding off a rough piece of wood in your wood lathe very rapidly, while making noise, and producing loads of wood chips.

Tell you what, if you'll send that belt sander along to me, heck I'll even pay postage, I'll introduce it to my belt sander, and maybe will be able to start raising landers. Just PM me and I'll give you my mailing address.
That's why the woodworking gods gave us #6 hand planes. I'm thinking over sending it to you. Been sitting on a shelf for awhile. I can't ever get it to sit flat, it always dips one way or another and gouges. You're right about sending dust and chips flying. There's a certain satisfaction there. :wink:

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking over sending it to you.
Keep thinking please. Besides trying to raise a herd of sanders, I know just how I would use it, and it would be just right for what I want it for.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have a belt sander and love what it does when the need for it arises. It is a nasty tool to use and not always the easiest to control. I started out using the FIL's 3x21 and found it almost impossible to avoid digs with it. So when I bought my own I went for a 4x24 which is way more stable and not that hard to avoid digs with. It is so heavy though (PC) that I just let the sanders own weight do all the work.

Reactions: Danman1957
1 - 16 of 16 Posts