Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Halloween is my favorite holiday and I usually make a few new patterns to celebrate the season.

I'll use this thread to show off some of my patterns and also share a few of them.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for a pattern.

Plant Kitchen utensil Jaw Gesture Fruit

·
Registered
Paul
2,009 Posts
How about a pumpkin head or skull with octopus legs? ;-)

·
Registered
Paul
2,009 Posts
Hahaha cool Oscar. A Jack-o-lantern might look interesting with those legs too.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,058 Posts
Very impressive.

Reactions: Oscar36

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome.
Is there a way I can use these with V Carve desktop?
Please take this with a huge grain of salt since I am very unfamiliar with vcarve. I purchased pro a couple of months ago but have not opened it up and played with it yet.

Short answer is yes but with an initial step.

What I understand is that you can not use the depth maps directly into vcarve (though Aspire can I believe). You need to convert the depth map images into an stl first. There are a bunch of ways to convert them to stl. There are several online converters as well as several free programs (blender, meshlabs, as examples) that can do this. The online converters are the easiest and fastest way but I can not talk to the quality of the outputted stl files.

Hope that helps.

If I have this completely wrong, someone please let us know. I need to learn vcarve as well.

The cnc software (Carvewright Designer) is the opposite. The base program can use the depth map images but I need an add on to import the stl's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't see anything in the posts saying where to get the files, or what format the files are in. With that information, I can help you with whether you can carve them using VCarve.

Contrary to what Oscar said (no offence, Oscar :)) You can carve depth maps and other 2.5D graphics with VCarve. You cannot create a 3D model from a 2D graphic with VCarve. For that, in the Vectric family, you need Aspire.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No offense taken and much appreciate the info. :)

I am not familiar with vcarve at all yet. I may start playing with this weekend. My new cnc has just been sitting there since I got it (~2 months).

The image is the pattern. It is a grayscale depth map image and the height is represented by the gray scale 0 to 1.

The image is created by interpreting z depth height of a 3d image to gray scale. Different programs can reconstruct the geometry from the grayscale information. For example here is blender where I imported the above image and displaced a plane with the height information.

Circle of life since I used blender to created the height map to begin with.

Photograph Light Product Black Font

·
Registered
79 Posts
You do nice work, Oscar. Back to Mark's question, it comes down to what you are making or will make available. If you make a 2.5D image file available, VCarve will carve it. If you make a 2D image available, VCarve will not create a 2.5D image from it. As you pointed out, there are numerous applications online to do that. Tks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thank you.

If anyone really has a hard time converting these, let me know which images you want me to post as an stl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please take this with a huge grain of salt since I am very unfamiliar with vcarve. I purchased pro a couple of months ago but have not opened it up and played with it yet.

Short answer is yes but with an initial step.

What I understand is that you can not use the depth maps directly into vcarve (though Aspire can I believe). You need to convert the depth map images into an stl first. There are a bunch of ways to convert them to stl. There are several online converters as well as several free programs (blender, meshlabs, as examples) that can do this. The online converters are the easiest and fastest way but I can not talk to the quality of the outputted stl files.

Hope that helps.

If I have this completely wrong, someone please let us know. I need to learn vcarve as well.

The cnc software (Carvewright Designer) is the opposite. The base program can use the depth map images but I need an add on to import the stl's.
I will have to learn Blender, just as you need to learn V Carve. V Carve is very intuitive I think and has amazing features.
Thanks for sharing the images and to all who commented.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will have to learn Blender, just as you need to learn V Carve. V Carve is very intuitive I think and has amazing features.
Thanks for sharing the images and to all who commented.
If you do try blender, focus only on the polygonal modeling (moving verts and geometry) and then digital sculpting after getting the basics of modeling. Otherwise, the software can be a little overwhelming at first.

It is a full 3d animation suite. It can do modeling, sculpting, material texturing, compositing, sound design, video design, 2d painting, 2d animation and full 3d animation. A little overkill for making cnc models but it is incredibly powerful. Best part is its free.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Working on a wicked witch of the West. Not great and cartoony. I am still working on my digital sculpting skills. Have a long ways to go but a ton of fun to do.

Fitted the armature/skeleton on the model this afternoon so it is now poseable. I need to model a few accessories tomorrow and then port to cnc pattern.

Toy Hat Fedora Sleeve Gesture

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Didn't come out great. One of the problems of modeling in 3d and not 2.5d. The depth of the model came out at 3.5 inches which meant a pretty flat pattern.

This is what it looks like in my software. Added a crescent moon in mine but pattern is sans that.

Wood Gesture Art Font Circle

Light Black Gesture Finger Headgear

1 - 20 of 28 Posts