Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all my fellow Aussie woodworkers. Happy "Australia Day". Hope you have a wonderful day. :D

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Oz day? Is this when Dorothy meets the wizard? (ducking)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Just some info about Australian Day

Australia Day is Australia's official national day, 26 January.
It commemorates the landing of the First Fleet in Sydney Cove on that day in 1788.
----------------------
26 January 1788 was the date on which the First Fleet, under Captain Arthur Phillip arrived at Sydney Cove and set up the Colony of New South Wales. Formal possession, including the reading of Phillip's Commission, took place on 7 February.

By 1808 the day that the Rum Corps arrested Governor Bligh, it was being celebrated as 'First Landing' or 'Foundation Day'. In 1818 (the 30th anniversary) Governor Macquarie had a 30-gun salute at Dawes Point and gave government workers a holiday[1] - a tradition that was soon followed by banks and other public offices.

In 1888 all colonial capitals (with the exception of Adelaide) celebrated 'Anniversary Day' and by 1935 all states of Australia were celebrating January 26 as Australia Day (although it was still known as Anniversary Day in New South Wales).

The 1938 sesquicentenary (150th anniversary) of British settlement in New South Wales in 1788 was widely celebrated. Preparations began in 1936 with the formation of a Celebrations Council. In that year, New South Wales was the only state to abandon the traditional long weekend and the annual Anniversary Day public holiday was held on the actual anniversary day - Wednesday 26 January.[2]

In 1946 the Commonwealth and State governments agreed to unify the celebrations on 26 January as 'Australia Day', although the public holiday was instead taken on the Monday closest to 26 January.[3]

Since 1994 all states and territories have taken the Australia Day public holiday on 26 January.

Australia Day is a national public holiday. For some years the holiday was held on the closest Monday, to provide a long weekend. It is now held on the actual anniversary, with that day being the public holiday.

Australia Day is marked by civic celebrations around the country, including the Order of Australia and Australian of the Year awards for outstanding achievement. Air Force aerial displays are held in some capital cities. Citizenship ceremonies are also held on Australia Day. The Australia Day Achievement Medallion is awarded to citizens based on excellence in both government and non-government organisations. Customarily, the Prime Minister will make an address to the nation.

Fireworks celebrations are held in many towns and cities around the country. The Perth Lotterywest Skyworks display is billed as the largest Australia Day celebration in the country, with more than a third of the city's population (around 500,000 estimated for the 2006 Skyworks) lining the river foreshore for the display.

The Australian music scene enjoys a significant event on Australia Day - the Triple J Hottest 100. The Sydney leg of the Big Day Out music festival has also traditionally occurred on Australia Day, however in 2007, the date was moved to Jan 25 partly because the event producer did not like how the flags were used last year. There is also often a one day cricket match such as the 2006 Australia Day match in Adelaide. In Canberra the Australia Day Live Concert takes place where the Australian of the Year is announced.

Bj :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dr.Zook said:
To all my fellow Aussie woodworkers. Happy "Australia Day". Hope you have a wonderful day. :D
Dave,

Happy Australia Day to you. I've not had the pleasure of visiting your great country -- about as close as I got was a trip to Singapore. But I've had the great pleasure of partying with Aussies over the years -- only folks that come anywhere close to your level of sheer wildness are the Italians.

Love your zest for life!

:D

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
As a "pom" who arrived in Australia from the U.K.in 1964 and soon became an "aussie", I don't find either term offensive so long as they are not used in an offensive way. May I ask if Americans find the term "yank" at all offensive when used in a pleasant way, as I have only subscribed to this site for a couple of weeks, I should hate to cause offence. It is 38deg.c and I have been waiting for our air-conditioning system to be repaired for best part of two weeks and have to wait 'till Monday or Tuesday. I doubt that a manufacturer like Hitachi would get away with this kind of "service" over there. Harry

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Harry, I doubt anyone will take offense to you refering to them as a "Yank". I am certain Norm Abrams would not since he is the host of "The New Yankee Workshop". It is possible that some die hard southerner would respond that he is a rebel and not a Yank, or "southern by the grace of God". Few in this country would even have heard the term Pommie if not for a recent movie called "The Worlds Fastest Indian" (about Burt Munroe of NZ) and fewer still would know what it meant. Don't give it a second thought.
PS It is 9 degrees F here at the moment.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Mike,it appears that we both learned from "The fastest Indian", you the word Pommie and I learned how to look after my lemon tree! Anyone looking puzzled will have to see the movie, Cheers, Harry

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Mike, I know that we are deviating from the purpose of this forum, but it helps to break the ice and become familiar with different people from different parts of the world. Not believing what our wall thermometer showed as the Celsius equivalent to 9degF, I had to check with a conversion chart. I think that you're computer must be starting to speed-up, once the temp. reaches absolute zero the electrons just move around un-hindered by resistance. I can't understand how you manage to type dressed in a heavy overcoat, beanie on you're head and fleece lined gloves! Cheers for now, Harry

·
Registered
51 Posts
harrysin said:
As a "pom" who arrived in Australia from the U.K.in 1964 and soon became an "aussie", I don't find either term offensive so long as they are not used in an offensive way. May I ask if Americans find the term "yank" at all offensive when used in a pleasant way, as I have only subscribed to this site for a couple of weeks, I should hate to cause offence. It is 38deg.c and I have been waiting for our air-conditioning system to be repaired for best part of two weeks and have to wait 'till Monday or Tuesday. I doubt that a manufacturer like Hitachi would get away with this kind of "service" over there. Harry
I personally consider the term "Yank" as a badge of honor, so no offense here.

Based on your temps now, we ought to consider house swapping for awhile! We have been between -15 and 0 degrees F (~ -20 to -10 C) in the mornings, and snow every weekend since Christmas here in northern Colorado.

I cannot imagine having a garage shop in this weather. The car groans in the morning as its started, and shifting the transmission is like stirring molasses (in January ...)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I feel the need to mention that Rick is enjoying -36 degrees C temps. Although mailed a couple days after Ricks I got my CD's from Template Tom today. I told Tom I would get them first as the sled dogs really have to work to get to Ricks place.
By the way Harry, nice to know you are a whiz at lemon trees. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts