Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...
Has anyone built a Harmoni-style standing desk? I have a rough idea of how to do it, but looking for some input. I did a rough cut with plywood scraps, which took about 15 minutes to cut out. Looking for anyone that has attempted to make such a desk, and if you found any traps along the way that I might avoid.
I do plan to make additional slots for the upper and lower shelves to move between.
I'm planning to use Maple for the build.
Thanks for any input :)
Ed
Pneumatic tool Saw Miter saw Drill Mitre saws
Wood Carpenter Floor Flooring Hardwood
Saw Wood Handheld power drill Tool Drill

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Raul it took me so long to get back to ya.....

Here are the approximate dimensions I went with.

You can use any dimension lumber, mine started as rough sawn, my thickness was a little under 7/8” if I remember. (The desk is for my Daughter-in-Law) so I don’t have the desk to verify.

Anyway, here ya go.

(1) Large piece with the slots, 31 1/2” high, with the base 11 3/4” wide & 8 3/4” wide at the top. Bottom slot 8 3/4” wide, all the slots were all 1” wide. I made a jig to slide up the large vertical board to mark and route out the slots. Obviously, you could add more or fewer slots, it’s what you feel looks best.

(2) Small top shelf, 13 7/8" long, depth of shelf from front to vertical board was approximately 9 3/4" the tongue adding 4 1/8". The tongue has a v groove, I did a second pass with the v-groove bit to widen the slot. I then used a 1/8” chisel to flatten the bottom of the channel. The tongue is approximately 5 1/4” wide.

(3) Large top shelf, 31 1/2” long, depth of shelf from front to vertical board was approximately 9 3/4" the tongue adding 4 1/8". The tongue has a v groove, I did a second pass with the v-groove bit to widen the slot. I then used a 1/8” chisel to flatten the bottom of the channel. The tongue is approximately 5 1/4” wide.

The bottom of the first slot on the vertical “ladder” started at 3 1/2”. The next series of slots were about 3 1/2” above the first 8 3/4” slot.

All these measurements are approximate. I rounded the corners more for the look I wanted.

If you have questions, I’d be happy to try to answer them. I did make a mock-up of the large vertical and it's base from some scrap plywood with slots and the v-groove cut to give me a little practice and check just how it would/might work. The scrap plywood was only about 6 inches wide, so waste was kept to a minimum.

Hope this helps………

·
Official Greeter
19,970 Posts
Eureka.....As you had it sitting on the carpet, I assumed that it was floor standing.....

·
Official Greeter
19,970 Posts
By the way, @Raul 210 , welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry Raul it took me so long to get back to ya.....

Here are the approximate dimensions I went with.

You can use any dimension lumber, mine started as rough sawn, my thickness was a little under 7/8” if I remember. (The desk is for my Daughter-in-Law) so I don’t have the desk to verify.

Anyway, here ya go.

(1) Large piece with the slots, 31 1/2” high, with the base 11 3/4” wide & 8 3/4” wide at the top. Bottom slot 8 3/4” wide, all the slots were all 1” wide. I made a jig to slide up the large vertical board to mark and route out the slots. Obviously, you could add more or fewer slots, it’s what you feel looks best.

(2) Small top shelf, 13 7/8" long, depth of shelf from front to vertical board was approximately 9 3/4" the tongue adding 4 1/8". The tongue has a v groove, I did a second pass with the v-groove bit to widen the slot. I then used a 1/8” chisel to flatten the bottom of the channel. The tongue is approximately 5 1/4” wide.

(3) Large top shelf, 31 1/2” long, depth of shelf from front to vertical board was approximately 9 3/4" the tongue adding 4 1/8". The tongue has a v groove, I did a second pass with the v-groove bit to widen the slot. I then used a 1/8” chisel to flatten the bottom of the channel. The tongue is approximately 5 1/4” wide.

The bottom of the first slot on the vertical “ladder” started at 3 1/2”. The next series of slots were about 3 1/2” above the first 8 3/4” slot.

All these measurements are approximate. I rounded the corners more for the look I wanted.

If you have questions, I’d be happy to try to answer them. I did make a mock-up of the large vertical and it's base from some scrap plywood with slots and the v-groove cut to give me a little practice and check just how it would/might work. The scrap plywood was only about 6 inches wide, so waste was kept to a minimum.

Hope this helps………
I may have missed it, but what are the dimensions of the bottom support piece? It looks great!

·
Official Greeter
19,970 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts