Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the members of this forum has put put me on to product called "The Big Gulp" and is available through Rockler. I'm wondering if anybody has attempted to install this item in the cabinet of their TS and if so how it has worked for them.

It does not appear from the photo that it is configured in a manner that would alloe it to be installed in the cabinet, but since I am not sure is why I am asking.

Jerry

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Jerry, I use one with my mini lathe and it works great. It could be adapted to work on a table saw.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mercel,

I asked for it didn't I. I knew that when I started this thread that the tempation for a reply like your's would just to great to resist. Thank goodness for our ability to laugh and find humor in our lives from time to toem, I sort of see how they would call the item what they did, but it a bit strange.

Jerry

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mercel,

I asked for it didn't I. I knew that when I started this thread that the tempation for a reply like your's would just to great to resist. Thank goodness for our ability to laugh and find humor in our lives from time to toem, I sort of see how they would call the item what they did, but it a bit strange.

Jerry
I couldn't restrain myself. :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerry, I use one with my mini lathe and it works great. It could be adapted to work on a table saw.
Mike,
By adapted, I assume that you mean modified by the end user which may or may not be a big hassle. Thanks for your response. After drilling the holes in the insert most of the problem with the DC are solved, just looks like the Big Gulp might be the iceing on the cake in regard keeping the dust almost completely from accumulating in the cabinet, think I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Looks a lot like the collection funnel in the bottom of my Craftsman 21833. And, if i recall correctly from looking at the manuals when i was shopping, the Ridgid R4512 uses something similar as well. Mounts between the "cabinet" and the leg assembly, porting through the bottom. Seems pretty functional.

I don't recall your saw Jerry, but on a contractor or hybrid seems that it would be as simple as cutting a sheet of aluminum to the dimensions of the leg assembly, then cutting an opening for the Big Gulp and riveting. Punch holes to mount the saw and you'd be in business.

I could also see suspending one just above and in my case slightly to the front of the blade--might capture some of the "whiskers" i get when ripping.

earl

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
Mike
3,790 Posts
It works good for a radial arm saw. I also clamp one on a stand where I am using a hand held router and it catches quite a bit of the dust and chips.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Penn State has it (Big Gulp) on sale right now for $15.95.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I used the big gulp for the bottom of my router enclousure below my router table.Just cut a thin dato in the plywood sides of the box and slid it in before installing the forth side.Works goof for that application

1 - 11 of 11 Posts