Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and welcome to the foums. I have a blade question I own a delta 16" scroll saw and was wondering what type of blade is good for a 1" board. I know that there are differences in blades do to thickness and I don't usually use lighter thickness's. Is there a chart anywhere that I can get a copy of?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The best place to buy blades is from my buddy Mike heres his site addey http://www.mikesworkshop.com/
Tell him Darryn or the whitewolf710 sent you over.
we use the chart as a reference. When emailing Mike ask him which blade he would suggest for what ever species you are cutting
Mike will send you a sample to try and once you try his blades you will be hooked

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi whitewolf710

Thanks for the great link :)

I like this guy already :)

Mike
"Quality is when the customer comes back,not the product."

Mike
"Many people make things to sell and do craft shows because it is fun.
They hope to make enough to cover their cost and maybe a little more.Some, but very few, actually make a living.
Enjoy yourself doing scroll sawing.
Buy a new tool from time to time, and go out for a nice dinner from the money you made. But a living?"

Mike
"Most scroll saw blades will not cut a straight line, like you do on a band saw.
The blade wants to go to the right, therefore you will notice that you have to push your wood to the left to stay on the line.
This is due to a little burr on the right side of the blade, when in the saw.
Most people think that the blades are stamped.
This is not true.
They are milled.
However, there is still a burr, sometimes more or less.
A brand new cutter will leave less of a burr than one that is wearing out."

And I thought it was me, I can't cut a straight line on a scroll saw and now I know why.
Thanks Darryn and Mike

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/Q&A-FP.htm

Bj :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
your welcome and Mike is a great guy tell him what wood you are cutting and he will help as much as he can he always goes the extra mile right down to a phone call once in awhile as for me well holler and if i can answer i will if not i will point you in the right direction

·
Registered
4 Posts
A question off the beaten path ! I'm new to scrolling,just bought a 22' scroll saw
that's supposed to accept either pin or pinless blades..BUT I cannot figure out how
to install to pinless type, and the instructions are not clear at all..Can you advise?
the woodworker

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi whitewolf710

I was almost sure I would like Mike
of http://www.mikesworkshop.com/

Mike
"Quality is when the customer comes back,not the product."

I order the sample pack of the Flying Dutuchman Blades on Fri.last week and I got them in the mail today, that's quick and on top of that free shipping.

Blades look great, all 60 of them for $12.95 I have not tried them yet but that's coming up.
I have looked hight and low for the small one in the pack(FD-SR #3), and low and behold there is was... :) :) in the pack.

By the way I have been using the Olson brand of blades what do you think about that brand >?

Thanks again for the tip.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi whitewolf710

Well I got the Dewalt Saw today, all I can say is WOW, night and day difference ,the Craftsman is like driving a 1940 Ford and the Dewalt is like driving a new Cad.
It's quiet and smoooooth not to say how quick I can change the blade or lift the head up for a new cut , ,WOW< WOW< as you can see I'm impress with the new tool :)

I put one of Mikes blades (#3) in and cut some 3/4" walnut and oak and mable, just like cutting butter so I said ok lets try the Craftsman with the same blade , after taking 5 mins. to get the blade in I gave it a shot and snap the blade, I said ok lets try it one more time,all I can say is, the Craftsman is on the way out the door... :(

Thanks again for the help and the tips :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey your very welcome im glad you liked the dewalt its a very very nice saw no comparison to a craftsman either the blade runs a true cut even if you dont have the tension quite right on a craftsman if the tension isnt right neither is the cut .
make a block of 2 x 4 just about 3 inches long and drill a hole in one corner and tie a string through it and tie it to your saw now when you lift your saw arm put the wood under the arm to keep it raised it takes awhile to get used to feeding from the top instead of the bottom like the craftsman im still learning in that regard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.