Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always believed that a picture is worth a thousand words. I know that I can learn much faster if text is accompanied with illustrations. At least one forum members doesn't agree and wrote " As far a picture being worth a thousand words don't you believe that old wives tale."
What do other members think, can I save myself heaps of time by not including photographs in my threads?

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
I don't think there's any substitute for good, story-telling photos or illustrations. Exceptionally clear writing is a difficult skill and descriptions and explanations are often muddled or difficult to follow and understand. I'll take a photo anytime.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
......... What do other members think, can I save myself heaps of time by not including photographs in my threads?
Hell no Harry. I believe that old wives tale is not actually an old wives tale, but a scientific fact. Sure works for me too, and I like looking at pretty pictures too :wink:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I agree with Dan3103, some people are either or, I rely on both. It's all a matter of interpretation; some have larger working vocabularies or may be more intuitive. Some have incredible spatial skills, see an image and immediately comprehend most or all aspects. Most of us require both to flesh a concept out.

Very few of us have the skill to choose the most correct, succinct term to make a point all will understand.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have always believed that a picture is worth a thousand words. I know that I can learn much faster if text is accompanied with illustrations. At least one forum members doesn't agree and wrote " As far a picture being worth a thousand words don't you believe that old wives tale."
What do other members think, can I save myself heaps of time by not including photographs in my threads?
pictures are great...
don't stop now...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I don't think there's any substitute for good, story-telling photos or illustrations. Exceptionally clear writing is a difficult skill and descriptions and explanations are often muddled or difficult to follow and understand. I'll take a photo anytime.
well said Oliver..

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Someone didn't get their Geritol or they're not getting enough fiber Harry. I hate trying to follow picture directions (thus the reason I leave Lego building to Ken and Shawn). Pics need words and vice versa. End of story. :)

Reactions: UlrichJ and Semipro

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
There is to be absolutely NO mention of who the member is that was the catalyst of Harry's concerns. NONE!

Comments need to be directed to Harry's concern regarding the value of adding pictures to his threads....

thanks
bill

Reactions: Semipro

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
There is to be absolutely NO mention of who the member is that was the catalyst of Harry's concerns. NONE!

Comments need to be directed to Harry's concern regarding the value of adding pictures to his threads....

thanks
bill
good plan...

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
To accurately describe any process a combination of words and photos is required. To do otherwise leaves a lot of room for misunderstanding.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what!!!???
no honorary mention of the others???

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
@harrysin

Harry:

If you TELL me what you did, I have to rely on YOUR ability to explain it, and MY ability to understand it.
If you SHOW me what you did, I have to rely on my ability to interpret what you are showing me.
If you SHOW me what you did AND TELL me what you did, I have a much better chance of understanding what I'm seeing.
And finally, if I DO what you did, well, IMHO, that's the best teacher of all.

I prefer to see pictures with text.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts

thanks
bill[/QUO

Did I miss something? I see no names or mention of who it was. If directed at my comment, that was a comment that was made in general and can mean anyone; male, female, or a she-he. (Or he-she, whatever the case may be.) No one needs to be attacked for the method of a post-if you get it with just pictures; awesome. But there are those who don't, (like me) and both are greatly appreciated. Harry is thorough and trying to make sure all benefit from his tutorials. Let me get back to my corner....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@harrysin

Harry:

If you TELL me what you did, I have to rely on YOUR ability to explain it, and MY ability to understand it.
If you SHOW me what you did, I have to rely on my ability to interpret what you are showing me.
If you SHOW me what you did AND TELL me what you did, I have a much better chance of understanding what I'm seeing.
And finally, if I DO what you did, well, IMHO, that's the best teacher of all.

I prefer to see pictures with text.
bravo!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts