Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since covid price has gone up 20 percent on lumber. Im building some planters for a friend at cost . I'm losing money because price risen so fast.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Groceries too. But home values are also on the rise for those who are selling. Gotta take the good with the bad...

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Yup.. lumber mills were shut down along with the rest of the country. Now they're all behind. "Supply & Demand" is what I was told. If & when they get caught up, and the demand goes down, so will the prices: I hope.

Reactions: dirt_dobber

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Yup.. lumber mills were shut down along with the rest of the country. Now they're all behind. "Supply & Demand" is what I was told. If & when they get caught up, and the demand goes down, so will the prices: I hope.
that rarely seems to happen....

·
Registered
2,666 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Since covid price has gone up 20 percent on lumber. Im building some planters for a friend at cost . I'm losing money because price risen so fast.
file a change order (CO) and adjust the pricing accordingly..
you are working for ''costs'' - the costs have risen..
recalculate for unforeseen costs or back out of the project...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Lumber goes up and down like a yo-yo but at some point all the beetle killed trees here is going to affect the allowable volume to cut. Whether it has or not yet I don't know. I've been out of the loop for too long. That will reduce supply but mostly lumber prices are affected by housing starts. Once again I'm not in the loop anymore.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I stocked up on Harbor Freight Staples before the pandemic, so I am good.
Herb
w/ the failure rate you'll be getting...
I hope you only wasted a couple of tuck loads of money...

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I picked up some air dried D.Fir a couple of weeks ago; rough sawn ungraded but mostly #1 (1/4 sawn).
$3.25bd/ft. Ouch.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I stocked up on Harbor Freight Staples before the pandemic, so I am good.
Herb
but their staples don't fit Bostich, Swingline or Arrow...

·
Registered
508 Posts
With the constant need of this commodity, pricing does vary but seemingly more slowly. Building is hot here in East Tennessee, so I don’t expect much of a dip anytime soon. We went through a spell where you couldn’t find some lumber anywhere - that situation has improved, if pricing hasn’t...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Nickp and jj777746
1 - 20 of 29 Posts