Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This video is a bit lengthy but since it covers some of the basics of hearing loss and the necessity for protection I thought it might be of interest.

https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/209

From about the 48th minute on they discuss using the I-phone as a hearing aid.

I appreciate that these are not medical professionals covering this topic but they do present the material is a real world manner.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Hearing loss is no joke. The decline can be so subtle that you don't realize it until a lot is gone.

Others who don't have it can't understand how frustrating it can be!

Wear your hearing protection, please!
Mine started inn 1955 on a Pistol Range with cotton stuffed in my ears. They didn't have anything better then.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
can you speak a bit louder please....

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
45 years of not worrying about it, 3 years and counting of regretting it!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for this video, I lost my in Viet-nam 1968, major hearing loss ever since. have been well taken care of by V.A

Lost of hearing is a bad thing. any way you look at it. People need to hear and see what you can do about it.

thamks for the video.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had serious hearing loss for a long time. Heavy equipment repair, tunnel machine mechanic, ect. To me using an I-Phone as a hearing aid makes as much sense as using a blender for routing. For the price of a good pair of hearing aids you could buy a whole sack full of I-Phones. If an I-Phone would work I am sure the State Industrial would be going the cheap route and using them. Even then they would probably prefer to go with two soup cans with a string between. Just my opinion based on my experience.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I suffer from upper frequency hearing loss. If I have my left ear to the car I can hear the chime of my keys in the ignition. I hear nothing when I turn my right ear toward the car.

This is a problem from working on the flight line in the Air Force....and declining the benefits offered me when I failed my discharge physical hearing test.....foolish me.

I wear hearing protection when running ANY of my woodworking tools. How good are the sets I wear? The same ones I wear when I go to the drag races and visit the pits during warm up sessions.....the best I can buy.

Don't take your hearing for granted. It's cheaper to protect your hearing than it is to replace hearing aids and batteries for the rest of your life.

Reactions: gjackson52

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Damaged my hearing way back when I photographed a summer of concerts in Anaheim Stadium. But it really went south when I had chemo a number of years ago. Learned that the marker they use in you blood when they do scans is also toxic to your hearing. Last year, I replaced my good Siemens aids for a set of the newest type. The new ones have the "speaker" or tiny transducer, that goes directly into the ear canal. The mic is behind the ear. They are balanced to boost the high pitched sounds of womens' voices, which were pretty faint.

This new technology has restored my hearing remarkably. For the first time in four decades, I can understand the lyrics in music. I can hear my wife perfectly and I rarely lose the meaning of what people are saying anymore, which is one of the problems that comes with disuse.

I have always been careful about shop noise, but these days I tend to leave the hearing protection on all the time. Warms up the ears on cold days too.

I strongly recommend checking out the new aids with the transducer in the ear canal and mic outside. Far less squealing and feedback than even the best of aids from 3-4 years ago. They are also water resistant, important for someone who during summer in the desert, sweats at the mere mention of the word work.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hearing Loss is real and it is very expensive to try and repair or do anything that will help, depending on the amount of loss sustained. I started losing my hearing 15 years ago. My loss was caused by not taking care of what I had, thinking oh these noises will not hurt me. Needless to say that was and is wrong. I have tried out several different types of hearing aids. I have spent a small fortune trying to repair or gain a quality of hearing that I can live with. I now have the I phone apps. They are as good as anything I have tried. If you watched the video, you saw a small microphone item built for the I Phone. I have not tried this unit, but I am going to investigate and find more information out about the possibilities of its use. The last thing I would like to say is Prevention and taking care of what you have is far better than trying to replace what you have lost. Great hour spent watching this video and I for one came away with some additional ideas to help my own hearing loss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts