Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just read a post on last years forum it raised a concern with removing the springs on my 8529 router. Here is the other users experience:

"I removed the springs from my M12V and the router would jerk while lowering it. So, I put the springs back in."

Would this condition apply to my PC8529 router? I can see where this might be router specific.

If I have the springs removed, and raise and lower the router with the above the table tool, do I still have to lock it down or will the adjustment stay fixed with the lock off?

John Pierce

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not sure if I'm exactly on track with you John, but the above table tool I have both unlocks the router and then turns the other screw for up and down adjustment. My tool is a Rockler knock off of the PC made tool. Downside is it doesn't work all that great-sloppy or non-fit half the time. I am learning some valuable lessons about some fo the "doo-dads" these big tool retailers drop on ya. HA! I HAVE bought some nice stuff from Rockler and all my dealings have been up front and honest, so I'm not knocking them at all. Doesn't your adjustment tool fit into BOTH holes for BOTH adjustments?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't your adjustment tool fit into BOTH holes for BOTH adjustments?[/QUOTE]

My PC8925 has one adjustment tool for the top of the table, which I purchased from Rockler. It dosen't unlock the height adjustment. A kind woodworker told me how to permanently unlock the router so the tool could allow adjustments up and down. If it was not unlocked it could only be adjusted to raise the bit in a table mount. The tool sets the unlocked height.

With it unlocked I can raise and lower the bit with the above the table tool, but I was questioning whether the removal of the springs could reduce the force required to raise the bit. I hope this helps.

John Pierce

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well John until someone more knowledgable jumps in here-I thought THAT was the main reason you took the springs OUT of the router....to do away with fighting the springs. So my answer to your questions would be yes, it would make it easier to adjust. Now I gotta go back and fool around with the "adjusting" tool I bought from Rockler, cause I tossed it in a corner someplace when I found out it wouldn't work half the time!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
cant you get a new base the one that is not plunge and use it like the pc 690 L RVS this is the one i use it has a base that has the lock down loosen it and just turn the router to the height you want the bit lock down router than when you want the plunge i take the router out of the other base and put it in the plunge base and than you have the plunge router and leve the springs along than i have the D handle also this is a nice set up real easy to use

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi: The purpose of removing the springs in plunge routers when using the in a table is to reduce the amount of work required to adjust the router. If after the springs are removed, their is any binding or shakig when the router is being adjusted, check to see that the posts are lubricated. I have a Makita plunge router, a PC 690, and a PC 7539, and I use them in the table without the springs with out any problem, but they are not adjustable from the top, since I use the Oak-Park router table and can adjust it on the table top, or from the bottom. Hope this helps out Woodnut65

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.