Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally signed up after lurking for a few years. Lots of good stuff here!
I'll start out by researching all posts on RT positioner/fence/accessories since I've decided to retire my limited capability table I built years ago.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Incra system but I see from the forum there are other options to consider. Diving in now, see you all later :grin:

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Glad you jumped in.

Before you decide, watch several Marc Sommerfeld videos. Observe how he uses the table with a precision fence before you make a choice. His technique is simple in setup but sophisticated and quite exacting in practice. I know many people swear by the Incra system, but not everyone feels the need for one. Beside, you will have to remove it to use one of the new jigs for cutting dovetails on the table. The old was was to cinch down the wood and move the router. The new way is to cinch the wood to the jig and move the jig around a fixed router.

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Glad you joined in with the fun Griff . You certainly sound like an interesting fellow :)

I bought an Incra top , there fences and clean sweep accessories, but unfortunately can't give you a review, as I've never gotten around to building the base for it yet :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Rick, life is as interesting as you choose to make it��!

Hope to hear from you when you get the Incra fired up. I'm thinking maybe it's overkill for me, I've never used a RT much but I'm thinking, maybe having a multi talented one would help me up my game. Plus, whenever I used my home built it made nervous and very conscious of my fingers!

I saw your sig, CNC routers are amazing. But, a bit of a learning curve for someone like me with zero CAD/CAM experience. Unless your into large form factor production work I'd recommend you consider Shapeoko from Carbide 3D. 3 sizes, very accurate and rigid for its class.

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Hey Rick, life is as interesting as you choose to make it��!

Hope to hear from you when you get the Incra fired up. I'm thinking maybe it's overkill for me, I've never used a RT much but I'm thinking, maybe having a multi talented one would help me up my game. Plus, whenever I used my home built it made nervous and very conscious of my fingers!

I saw your sig, CNC routers are amazing. But, a bit of a learning curve for someone like me with zero CAD/CAM experience. Unless your into large form factor production work I'd recommend you consider Shapeoko from Carbide 3D. 3 sizes, very accurate and rigid for its class.
I googled your cnc as soon as I seen the post , but more than one model came up , so I wasn't sure which one you had .
Looked pretty good on the YouTube videos that I watched , even cut aluminium:)

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
:)Hello and welcome to the router forum. Griff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CNC details

I googled your cnc as soon as I seen the post , but more than one model came up , so I wasn't sure which one you had .
Looked pretty good on the YouTube videos that I watched , even cut aluminium:)
I started with a Shapeoko 3 standard size that I built from a kit. Since then I've upgraded mine to an XL, it meets all my needs. I've recently added a laser for engraving and light cutting.
I'll see if I can attach a pic.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum Griff.

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
I started with a Shapeoko 3 standard size that I built from a kit. Since then I've upgraded mine to an XL, it meets all my needs. I've recently added a laser for engraving and light cutting.
I'll see if I can attach a pic.
Nice looking shop you have there Griff . I'm steering towards the Pro version 4'x4' from cncrouterparts .
I think there spindle/vfd combination is going to put me over budget ,as well as there Nema 34 plug and play electronics .
So after I assemble the mechanical part , I'm going to go with a water cooled spindle , hitichi vfd, and build the electronics in a cabinet myself .
I think understanding the system would be better for future troubleshooting if I was to build the electronics.

I was going to scratch build a router table to, using 25mm linear bearings, but there's just to much uncertainty for me if my build would turn out level and square enough to be acceptable. I think I'll leave that part for CNCrouterparts.
Although my ideas change by the minute lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts