Router Forums banner

Hello all!

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  MEBCWD 
#1 ·
This is my obligatory hello post! Looking forward to visiting on here and learning information. I am looking to purchase a new CNC router machine and am trying to learn as much as I can before I sink money into one.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, Mike! We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing?

What's your budget for the CNC, how much space do you have, what power do you have available, do you have supporting equipment to prepare stock for the CNC, what will be cutting primarily - flat stock, engraving, 3D, etc.?

We can definitely help you spend your money! :wink:

David

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums Mike...
We're happy you found us...

We do welcome all questions on about any subject you can come up w/ too....
Not only that, we excel at spending your money...

#4 ·
I'm hoping to spend 6-12 K or so, hopefully on the lower end. I'd like to cut at least 4-6 foot lengths, but can live with 4. Don't need a lot of width, but I'll bet that as soon as I buy a 2-foot bed, I'll need 3 feet!

I have physical room but only 120/240 single phase power at home. Thank you for responding!

#5 ·
PS - I neglected to tell you that I am down near the Mississippi Gulf Coast where it is hot as hades here now~!

#6 ·
240 single phase is what most of us have so you should be fine. I built our CNC and it's the largest I could fit in the available space - 2x4. In the last 4 years or so there's only been a couple of times when I could have used a 4x4 but I also don't look for jobs that require larger than I can cut.

Being in NW LA (Louisiana, the REAL LA :wink:) we aren't that far from you and it is equally hot and humid here, I imagine. Temp right now is 93° but with the humidity my weather app says it feels like 106°. But one of the best shop tools we ever added is a one ton mini-split HVAC unit. Climate controlled is definitely the way to go! :grin:

David

#12 ·
G'day Mike. Welcome to the forum.

#13 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am working so i am on and off of here, so please hang in there with me. I have begun to make a spreadsheet with the various models and their advantages and disadvantages. I'm learning the difference between the two NEMA categories, differences. between spindles and routers, etc. I sincerely apprecate the help because if I had not done this research, I'd probably have run out to Rockler and picked up one of their units premade. I'm learning, thanks.

Reactions: marecat3
#14 ·
Welcome to the Router Forums Mike. I'll post my thoughts on a CNC in your other post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.