Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from South Mississippi. Well once again I have been truly Blessed Ida has come and gone and the Lord has held my hand through it Thank You Lord! My name is Bill Goodwin I go by Trippin I am 79 Married and enjoy wood work. I do have A question I am wanting to make 8in wood clocks. My question I have the dewalt 611 with fixed base I want to use to cut my circles using templates and guide bushing can you lower the bit with the router running? Please advise. Thanks to all Trippin

·
Official Greeter
19,128 Posts
Welcome to the forum , Bill.

Not sure I would want to make adjustments while the router is running. (and in the cut?)

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,076 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Hello from South Mississippi. Well once again I have been truly Blessed Ida has come and gone and the Lord has held my hand through it Thank You Lord! My name is Bill Goodwin I go by Trippin I am 79 Married and enjoy wood work. I do have A question I am wanting to make 8in wood clocks. My question I have the dewalt 611 with fixed base I want to use to cut my circles using templates and guide bushing can you lower the bit with the router running? Please advise. Thanks to all Trippin
Welcome to the forum Trippin. Glad you made through the storm ok. Making plunge cuts with a fixed base router would be difficult and somewhat dangerous in my opinion. If you have access to a jig saw you could rough in the holes then clean them up with the router. The other option would be is buy the plunge base for your router which I believe is this one on Amazon Dewalt DNP612 plunge base it would make your router much more versatile.

·
Official Greeter
19,128 Posts
Hi @Trippin

I misread your question. There is a web site for a team making signs where they lower the cutter on a fixed base router all the time. (Eric Rhoten)

. I would check some of their videos to get the technique correct..

·
Super Moderator
258 Posts
welcome aboard, Bill - do you have any photos of some of your past projects ?
when you say "cut out circles" do you mean the recess that the clock works sit in ?
or, are the circles part of the design.
routers take some practice - just get some scrap boards and practice the parts that you are not sure of.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill . Sorry as I don’t have any advice other than not to fry bacon in the nude , but there’s some smart members here that are likely to chime in .
personally I’d start a new thread in an area for projects

·
Registered
Paul
2,010 Posts
If the circles are big enough you may be able to use a trammel. Get the pivot pin into position and then lower the router into your work. Some ideas: router trammel. The simplest are just a piece of thin board with holes at the desired radius. It would be easier with a plunge base but I managed to do this a few times before I got a plunge router (test on scrap first).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts