Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Wesley and I'm from Mississippi. Looks like you guys have a nice board here. Thanks for letting me in. I have a pretty basic question, hence one of the reasons I stumbled upon you guys. I have three routers, but this question is regarding the Craftsman 9.5 amp 1 3/4HP Model No. 320.17541:
I currently have it set up on just the compact Craftsman router table. Ive used it quite a few times with 1/4" shaft bits. Ive got a few 1/2" shaft bits, and was wondering about how to use the collet. My router came with three pieces; the collet nut, a cylindrical 1/4" collet and a tapered or conical collet that measures 1/2" at the top. For a 1/4" shaft, I have been putting the cylindrical 1/4" collet in the large end of the conical/tapered piece and tightening the nut. It works fine. I am wondering if I just remove the 1/4" collet for the 1/2", or do I need to buy another piece? The other collet-looking piece is only 1/2" on one end. How far should I force the half inch bit in, if thats where it goes? Also, there is a ring line on the cone shaped concentric piece, I just previously mentioned. Does that need to be locked into the collet nut? I dont want to force it in if it doesnt go there. I also dont want a half inch cabinet cutter to helicopter through my face!:no: I think I read where newbies cant attach pics, so sorry. If anyone could answer this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You in advance. Wes

·
Official Greeter
19,730 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for joining us, Wesley.

You can attach pics that are on your hard drive, just not show URL s to sharing sites.

In your reply, go ADVANCED, and click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS

You will find many on the forum, from hobbyists
to professional with similar interest in the router and its uses.

Take the time to learn how the forum works and ask any questions you want.

Try to post your question in the most appropriate section as not all members
read the Introductions section.

The members are only too happy to help.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hi Wesley, glad to see you join our community!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Wesley.

I checked the manual on that model. It comes with a 1/2" collet and a 1/4" adapter to allow 1/4" shank bits to be used in the 1/2 collet. So yes, removing the adapter should let you put in a 1/2" shank bit in the collet. The bit needs to go in about an inch generally, to properly hold the 1/2" shank bit.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wesley. It is possible that the 1/2" collet has been tightened down without a bit or the reducer fully inserted and may have squeezed it together so you may have to force bits in it for a while or open the slots in it up with a screwdriver or something like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum, Wesley.

I checked the manual on that model. It comes with a 1/2" collet and a 1/4" adapter to allow 1/4" shank bits to be used in the 1/2 collet. So yes, removing the adapter should let you put in a 1/2" shank bit in the collet. The bit needs to go in about an inch generally, to properly hold the 1/2" shank bit.
Thanks to all you guys, and Dmeadows for a good answer. Thats what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. I still havent run it with a 1/2 inch bit yet. Next, Id like to learn how to calculate the speeds for the bits. I get multiplying the "run out", but how the weight load effects rpm. Im one of these people who likes to totally immerse myself in something, so I can notch it up as something else Ive mastered. Ive been down with Lyme's disease for about 3 years, and cant wait to get to rolling on my house. Again thanks to all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.