Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hell friends,
my name is john adam, i am from decatur alabama, but currently live in auburn while finishing up my undergraduate degree in horticulture. i have a beautiful wife that just blessed me on the 18th of this month with our first daughter Ada Juliet. my passion for word working comes from hurricanes. ill explain. I grew up spending my summers helping my cousins re build their pier on mobile bay's eastern shore, mostly from salvaged wood washed up on shore, or left over lumber my uncle didn't need for his site. we did this, by any means necessary, just so we could have a few months of fishing off the peak of that platform, usually catching nothing but catfish or croaker, or if we really got lucky, a couple pretty girls. I'm really into routers lately, and trying to work on box joint jigs and table saw jigs. but i need help, desperately. for joinery purposes obviously. i also play music so i have made a few custom speaker boxes for my guitar but would like to box joint them to give them that "i really care about what i do" kind of look. and I'm not having the best of luck getting my jigs together and working correctly. if anyone would like to give some advice or point me in the right direction, like a video or something, i would be ecstatic. thanks for the site. and the information provided. I'm already in love with this website and i've only been on today. all of these attachments are small projects i've done recently. except for the fence. that was job.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
20,249 Posts
Welcome to the forum, John.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Welcome John. Box joints would at first seem easy and there are a ton of jigs out there to make them. I have built my share but have come to the conclusion that the best ones are the ones that you buy. If you always plan on using the same thickness of wood then spending time refining a homemade jig will pay off. But if you plan on using different thicknesses then you will spend more time fiddling with things than it takes to make the joint. Just MHO

·
Registered
88 Posts
Box Joints

I owned and built the Marriott Hotel down the road from you in Huntsville in 1984 on the grounds of the Space and Rocket Center. Terrific folks to work with in that area.

John, there are plenty of sources out there for various jigs for box joints, but my guess is that you're going to tire of that and want to get on to dovetail joints very soon. Some of the dovetail jigs are set up so you can do box joints as well.

Great trick with the rope balance routine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi john if you want to get into making box joints I doubt you can get much better value and utility than the jig that Rockler sells. It comes with rails to handle ¼”, 3/8” & ½” Box joints. You do need a router table that either has tracking for clamps or of a size that you can place the jig over your router and clamp & adjust it.

I purchased a full dovetail jig set 5 years ago, spent 2 weeks fooling around, reading up on it, practicing and getting it just right. I made a toy box for the dog from Beach wood ( turn out great – she still has it ) then I made a fancy drawer for it and there it sits gathering dust. It just wasn’t worth the effort to fool around for 2 to 3 days or more to re-learn to use it later when I made things with drawers. I recently started and entertainment wall project for my daughter and son-in-law so I picked up the Rockler box joint jig, carbide spiral bits to go with it, and did up the 5 bins ( 3/8”), 1 drawer (1/2”) + the little test box including routing in slotting for the bottoms ( 3/16” press board ) cutting the 3/8” & ½” maple to length and cutting the bottoms.

2 hours from start to finish including taking the jig out of the box it comes in. My dovetail jig will now sit forever as an ornament in the open faced drawer that I made for it when I thought it was special.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.