Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a retired Civil Engineer and spent my career in the heavy construction business. My woodworking experience was gained over the years through Various home renovations and, after retirement, building our own home on Gabriola Island, BC, Canada. I have also done some modest outdoor furniture, arbors, cabinets, sailboat doors etc. I was attracted to this forum for 2 reasons: 1) because I have a problem with my router 2) because I am interested in learning more about the diverse uses of routers. Members of the Forum have a wealth of experience in this area and are very generous in sharing that experience to help others. I look forward to learning and helping if I can.

I will post details of my router problem in the appropriate (I hope) category.

George McEwan

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome N/A aka George...

so what is the difficulties you are having w/ your router???...

because I am interested in learning more about the diverse uses of routers.
here at this link you'll find some useful knowledge that's been put together on routers...
if it isn't enough we have more...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@newby331...

could you fill in your profile please...

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Retirement on an island is a fantasy many here entertain. Filling in your basic equipment list is often helpful in responding to your questions. Versatile as a router is, sometimes it's better to use another tool.

Meanwhile, you might go to YouTube and look up the videos by Marc Sommerfeld. There's no safety gear so the camera can see the action, but he is a master cabinet maker who got into the router business. His videos will open your eyes to all kinds of tricks and tips. And his technique is very simple and direct. I have the whole set of his videos on disk, and watch the most appropriate one before I take on a project.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,315 Posts
Welcome to the forum, George! Add your first name to your profile to clear the N/a in the side panel. Add your location, as well, so that it's in your profile and shows in the side panel.

We do like photos so show us those projects, tools, shop, etc. whenever you're ready.

David

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi George and welcome. I'm from near Vernon but you have a much closer member across the straight from you in Sechelt. That's where Daninvan lives.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
welcome to the router forum George

·
Registered
673 Posts
Welcome. When I was a child, and didn't know squat about power tools, my uncle did me the best favor. He introduced me to ROUTERS! He had the usual shop tools, a table saw, drill press, sander, etc. But he took me shopping for his first router.

I didn't know what it was for, or what it could do. I figured it was basically a useless tool that spun a blade like a lawnmower. Wow! Was I wrong!

He set it up in his garage, and we began to explore the many uses of the tool. We built a bookcase by routing slots into boards to assure proper spacing and level shelving. We did a notch around the back to inset a rear panel. We routed the front edges to a round shape. We did other things too. When we were done, I was sold on the usefulness of a router, and saved up to buy my first one from Sears. I also bought the "Router Crafter" accessory if the day. I was making lamp stems, table and chair legs and other things, with assorted straight, circular and spiral patterns. I was amazed at the versatility of the router. Of course, my neighbors in the APARTMENT BUILDING did not appreciate the noise, but we got through it okay, and I credit my current tool knowledge and assortment of "toys" in my two workshops to that one day when I was introduced to the ROUTER!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Welcome George,

Although I am located in Quebec, I have traveled to BC and love it there. It is the only Province I don't cover with my work and I'm hoping that will change. My favorite spot is in my opinion the ultimate Canadian Paradise; Tofino B.C. the Provincial Park named Long Beach. I also enjoyed the area of the Sunshine Coast when I visited Daninvan.
Danman1957

·
Registered
Rick
17,588 Posts
Welcome George,

Although I am located in Quebec, I have traveled to BC and love it there. It is the only Province I don't cover with my work and I'm hoping that will change. My favorite spot is in my opinion the ultimate Canadian Paradise; Tofino B.C. the Provincial Park named Long Beach. I also enjoyed the area of the Sunshine Coast when I visited Daninvan.
Danman1957
I’m in BC and can cover for you :D

·
Official Greeter
19,972 Posts
G'day George, and welcome to the forum...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.