Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name is Brian and I have just started this great hobby. I have done some remodeling of our house and successfully completed that. I have always wanted a wood shop since I was in Jr high school enrolled in shop. I remember the wood smell as it was very intoxicating. I have not done much in the ways of serious woodworking like cabinet making, entertainment centers, or anything close to that, but I hope to advance shortly. I purchased a trim router dewalt version 611 to finally try my hand out routing. its only been like 38 years since I did anything like that in class, and I had a instructor looking over me. I wanted to start small but heard wonderfule things abotu this type router and thought proabbly a good one to start with. I am excited to learn and move on. I will post another question about 1/4 in shank bits in the appropriate spots. Just wanted to say hi and wish everyone a great experience in this hobby we call woodworking.

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
Hi, Glad you're here. Like you I came to woodworking after decades of home improvement, starting with my dad in old farm house built before 1913. I think all that helps. I'm attaching a pdf I wrote about the 18 things (plus) that speeded up my learning curve. Don't be put off by all the tools and such I mention in it, I accumulated all that stuff over about a 15 year period when I was making good money. To me, the most important thing is a really good table saw. That made all the difference to me. I wasted a lot of money trying to save a little cash on dust collection, so you'll find a few things in the pdf that might save you some money. It's long, but has lots of pictures.

I had a client once i Chattanooga, it was a really nice area. Had lunch in a really nice coffee shop down town. I think if I weren't such an old coot, that I'd probably like living there.

Tom

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
G'day Brian, welcome to the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.