Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just joined and am a total Newbie to routers. I just ordered a 3018Pro MAX CNC. My interest is in routing printed circuit boards(PCBs). I have a lot to learn about Gerber, Gcode, etc. My biggest issues right now is I don't understand how the CNC control code takes into account the diameter of the bit being used or whether this has to be manually entered into the Gcode. Also, is there any product out there that will accept Gerber and Exelon(drill) files and automatically generate the Gcode to program the machine. It seems like a laborious process of converting files by third party tools and then loading them into a software tool such as ugsPlatform to actually operate the machine.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
You need two or three software packages to use your CNC machine, (CAD) design software for drawing the project, (CAM) to output the code for the machine, CAD and Cam could be combined in the same package or be two separate software packages, and a controller to interpret the gcode file and run your CNC.

Your design software will take into account the diameter of the bits when you run toolpaths for cutting the project. When you save the gcode it is already in the file.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.