Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I've been lurking on the forum here for a looooong time and decided it's about time I actually posted something! I'm a cabinetmaker by trade and I also build mobile/home audio speaker cabinets/components online as well as design/build/install mobile audio systems (not the "boom boom" kind rather systems that actually sound good!). Oops! Looks like I can't post URL's yet however you can see some of my pics on Photobucket under the user name of "MrMarv"
In my spare time I "play" with cars and like to do some fun woodworking with my nephew however we have not been able to get together in the shop much lately (he's old enough and skilled enough to use numerous tools/machines safely now but not quite ready for things like the table saw/jointer/routers etc).

I got a little carried away buying routers during the time I've been reading the forum here :eek: and at one time my arsenal consisted of so many routers I couldn't remember them all (I don't like to change bits!) along with 3 tables (1 Rockler with a PC 890, shop built with laminate trimmer and a Jessem MastRlift with PC 7518) however I'm running out of room so I've been trimming down.

I recently built a new router table by combining numerous ideas from here along with some I came up with for my particular situation in order to trim down to 1 versatile router table (I'll post that in the router table thread shortly).
I also do a lot of template work so I have several routers with dedicated jigs and bits for tasks I do frequently. One thing I realized is I really don't need super high power routers for what I do so I have sold my PC 7539, the 7518 with lift, PC 7519 D-handle as well as a couple of others that did not get much use including 2 PC 310's, 2 7310's and a brand new in the box 7529 that had been sitting around way too long!
Right now my arsenal consists of an unused PC 7518, PC 890 plunge with circle jig, PC 691 D handle with dedicated spiral flush trim bit, several Bosch Colts with dedicated bits/jigs, PC 690 spare and extra 890 series motors for the new router table so I don't have to change frequently used bits. I also have a Bosch 1618evs motor with a D handle base, fixed base and plunge base. This is what I use when I need a different bit and I just swap the motor between bases depending on the task.

My current router plans are to add a Bosch Colt with plunge base and a dedicated circle jg for the smaller holes needed (I sometimes spend hours making smaller holes for speaker adapters etc and the 890 gets too heavy after a while). I am also considering a cast iron extension for my table saw as the one router table is not working out as well as hoped and if I do get the extension I'll probably convert the other table to a dedicated pin router (the Triton router spoken of so highly here intrigues me so I may ditch the new PC 7518 to get one of those for the extension).

Looking forward to joining in! Marv

·
Super Moderator
John
6,915 Posts
Hi Marv glad to see you step up and post, welcome old time forum member.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,884 Posts
Welcome to the forum Marv.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
So Marv, it only took you 4 years to find the right keys.......LOL.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Marv
Welcome to the forum.
I have a Grizzly cabinet saw with a cast iron extension for a router table.the mass of the saw effectively dampens the vibration of the router . The fence works out well too.The downside is there is no lift and I have to remove the motor from it's base and take it out to change bits. Also,changing height from below is kind of a pain.
Dennis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome guys!

James..I knew I signed up some time ago but did not realize it took me 4 years to finally find the right keys! :eek:

Thanks for the info on the cast iron table Dennis!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts