Router Forums banner

Hello from newbie/lineshaft system

781 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  old55 
#1 ·
Has anyone converted electric wood shop machines to the lineshaft system? The reason I'm asking is that there is a young amish guy my wife drives for and he is building his own wood shop but he bought newer electric machines with hopes of converting them to said system. She has asked me to help him and being a mechanically inclined person I might just say yes, but I would like to find some advice before I pull the chord. I have never done anything like this but I'm up for the challenge. They can't use electricity like you and I, not even using a generator but they power their systems with a gas powered engine. If anyone hear could point me to a place that might have such information it would be greatly appreciated. I will however go and look at the set up and figure a design to go forward on my own. Heading into uncharted waters, thanks Daddio

#3 ·
That's going to be a serious project. Definitely going to have to use shafts and pullys fixed on long shafts. It would help a lot to study how someone else in that county has done it. Last time I was in Amish country, there was a hardware store that had all kinds of acceptable tools and hardware. You are also going to have to figure out ratios. What size pully on the drive shaft, what kind on the tool. Will you have to do some belts that cross over (fighre 8) And you'll need to know where to position the tools themselves so they are in position to take power from the shaft/pully system. Lots of choices on belts.

Seems to me that you will need tensioners, and a way to disengage tools that are not in use so you get full power to the ones that are in use. And you'll have to figure out a way to change belts without disassembling the whole thing. I hope you have a machine shop handy.

You'll have to know the RPMs on the motor and how many will be required for the main drive shaft to make the whole system work. I hope you can take some pictures of of what you come up with. I think it's going to be a challenge,

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum @kjsdaddio ,

Would like to see progress on that system…..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.