Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I'm a underemployed sailor who has recently brought a under-used Leigh D4.
I found the Routerforums whilst looking for information on the D4 and routers in general.

I decided my Hitachi TR12 was just too clunky for cutting dovetails, so I have been looking for alternatives. Fixed base routers are few and far between in Australia but I found a little used Dewalt 610.

The rack and pinion height adjustment is not ideal but patience and a Wixey height gauge will over come that limitation.
Im also thinking of using a foot switch to overcome the combined problems of no soft start and a on/off switch too far from the handles.

I have seen little in the way of projects for dovetail jigs on the internet, every woodturner worth his salt posts his projects but I can't find much that gives me inspiration to build with the Leigh, saying that I have not had a good look around the Routerforums yet.

If you can suggest galleries of web sites to me that help educate me a little more I would like to know about them.

I am pleased to be a member of this forum, I hope I can make worthwhile contribution in the future.
Mark

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mark. Try YouTube for inspiration on any subject. A simple search will bring great results.

·
Premium Member
19,223 Posts
I too suggest looking at YouTube for information and inspiration.

You haven't filled in your profile yet so I have no idea what tools or skill level you have. I did home improvement all my life, but started woodworking about a decade ago. Among my first projects were tool stands for all my gear. Learning to do those gave me practice on cabinets and doors. Boxes are really great projects and will give you reasonable sized projects on which you can develop your cuting, assembly and finishing abilities.

One other resource I use a lot are the used woodworking books on Amazon. Look vor the used books. I've found a fair number of books showing finished projects, boxes, tables, cabinets, etc. Relatively cheap, you can fill a bookshelf for not much. Don't forget to check libraries. Many have magazines you can peruse, plus back issues. See if you can locate back issues of Fine Woodworking, which features furniture and other slick projects. I think they have digital versions as well.

Do please fill in your profile, many of us check those entries to assure what we are posting is appropriate. Won't do to post a primer on table saws if you don't have one.

At any rate, welcome to the party. That D4 is a nice gadget.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Welcome aboard our saw dust pile Mark. Please take the time to update your profile so we can know a little bit more about you.

Do you have a D4 or a D4R, the main difference between them is that the R has built in side stops and they are separate pieces on the D4.The D4R was made by CNC but works exactly the same as the D4. The lever type clamping and a more rigid clamp bar are also in the R and I don't think they came on the previous D4 model, but they can be purchased from Leigh if you want them. Did you get the manual with it? It is also available from Leigh, if you need one. These manuals are the best written that I've ever seen from woodworking tool companies. You can't really make good use of your jig without one.

Leigh Jigs https://www.leighjigs.com website has many pictures of dovetailed boxes, cabinets, cabinet drawers, etc. on the site. Every time I go there I get "inspired" by the pictures, and frequently end up building something similar to one of them.
You can also download pdf copies of their manuals and get information on upgrades to their jigs. Their customer service is about the best that I've ever experienced too. There are Leigh created videos on Youtube that will help you learn to use the jig safely. You can also request a DVD of these through the Leigh jigs website.

I own a D4R Pro, well as an FMT Pro jig. I can probably help with any question that you may have, but others on this site should be able to help too. The only dumb question is the one not asked. We all love to help each other.

We have other sailors in the group, but I'll let them introduce themselves to you.

Charley

·
Super Moderator
6,830 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum.
See if this'll. Vedio helps

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. I have a 610 and they are a good router but with no features. It's easiest to adjust whilst on its side so that gravity is not interfering. I often use a foot switch which pushes once for on and a second time for off. You must get in the habit of placing it where you have to stretch a little to reach it or it's possible to start it accidentally. The other option is to use a deadman switch where you must maintain pressure to keep it on.

We have a member who is a router master living in Perth by the name of Harry Sinclair. You should make contact with him. Harry is a very nice fellow who has produced a number of tutorials for the forum.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
hello Mark from Perth... and welcome..
Harry Sinclair is from Perth.. he's an icon here and knows his stuff...
see if this can any..
https://www.leighjigs.com/vids.php

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,317 Posts
Wtf Mark.

·
Premium Member
19,223 Posts
You can send a private message to Harry via this site. Let him know you're nearby and that the folks on RouterForums suggested you say hello. I learned a LOT from Harry when he was more active. The man knows his stuff. His logon is harrysin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all your good advice.
Firstly I have made a start at filling in my profile, it is a work in progress.

CharleyL I have brought the D4R upgrade kit which gave me the D4R User Guide.
Now that what I call a excellent user guide.
I have also got Ernie Conover's "Woodworkers guide to Dovetails" out of the Library. I've ordered a copy for myself. Thankfully both books have a lot of illustrations.
Unfortunately my D4 come with nothing that was not attached to it, but considering the price it was still a real bargain.

Charles that foot switch sounds like a dream come true, I have only used foot switches that require pressure be kept on them to maintain current.
I'm assuming the switch has a latching mechanism.
I'm will be looking for one immediately.
Laying the router down to adjust height sound like a excellent way to counter the adverse affects of gravity.
Once again thank you for all your help.
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts