Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I am Jean from Western Australia. I am a folk artist who loves doing all sorts of paper crafts like decoupage and card making and I also design pretty graphics for paper crafts people which I post on the internet through my daily blog.

I started woodworking when I was about 8 years old when I asked my Dad to make little hangers for my doll clothes. He sat me down at his pedal powered scroll saw and after breaking most of his saw blades, I had all the hangers I could ever want. I gave up on woodworking a couple days after that but, 55 years later I took up the hobby again when I found a bin outside a furniture factory in Armadale, WA marked "FREE FIREWOOD" I bought a router, table saw, and other smaller toys and this time set about turning the firewood into key racks, canister, rope handled boxes and signs which I would decorate with folk art painting and decoupage prints that I designed myself. For the past 6 years or so I have mainly been doing graphics but I now see the need to get off the computer and join the real world again.

I am now 70 and my latest hobby is the best of all ... ... bookbinding ... ... which I really love, mostly because it has started my creative juices flowing again, I can combine it with different paper crafts, painting, scroll saw cut-outs, even sewing, quilting, beading, scrapbooking techniques, copper tooling etc.

I found this forum while searching the net for instructions on how to do some routing on the cover of a special coffee table book with an Egyptian theme that I am planning to make for my daughter.

Thank you for letting me join this group,

Jean

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
G'Day mate and welcome to the RouterForums. Where are you located in Western Australia? Anywhere near Perth?

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Dave,

re anywhere near Perth,

Gosnells is a suburb of Perth about 25kms north of Harry. (I think)

I am sure Harry will enlighten us....:D

Welcome to the forum ArtbyJean..

James

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,942 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jean. For the 35 years prior to 2002, we lived in Thornlie, which is of course in the shire of Gosnells, you couldn't get much closer to Gosnells than that! Not a lot escapes the good doctor, he uses not only Google earth, but Google street view and has his finger on the weather over here, whenever I speak to him on Skype, he informs me of the temperature, wind speed and direction etc. Any questions you have, will, I'm sure be answered promptly by many members, each one no doubt a variation of the others.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Welcome Jean. I hope you enjoy the forums as much as I do, there is always something new.

(Psst Harry, is it proper etiquette to call a sheila mate?)

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,942 Posts
"(Psst Harry, is it proper etiquette to call a sheila mate?)"

Mike, there are macho ladies who wouldn't be offended by being called mate and there are ladies who wouldn't be offended at being called a sheila, then there are ladies who would probably be offended at being called either of these names. Only Jean will be able to say if she would be offended by either term.
I must confess that in the time that I've known you Mike, your grasp of proper English has increased dramatically!

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Good morning, here anyway, and welcome great forum you can learn as much as you want to. I will tell you however, after checking out a few galleries that, at least for me, if I can learn just a small fraction of what some of these guys and gals do, (I'm told there are gals on the forum) I will be a very good woodworker! I stand in aw over some of the projects I have seen. Browse and enjoy.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Apology to Jean

Welcome Jean. I hope you enjoy the forums as much as I do, there is always something new.

(Psst Harry, is it proper etiquette to call a sheila mate?)
I apologize Jean for the (mate) bit.:confused: I didn't read your post close enough.:eek: I wood have seen where you wanted hangers for your doll clothes. I won't call you a Sheila either.:( Out of respect for my seniors, you are now Mz. Jean. ;)Really glad to have you join us.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That's quite OK Dave

That's OK Dave
Just a bit of trivia: I have a niece somewhere in OHIO (don't ask me which part)
She designs props for a theater company.
I used to live on Orlando, Florida for 7 1/2 years! 1974 to 1982.
I have 2 sisters in Orlando, and many nieces and nephews there too.
Some in California as well.
And here is a picture of me at the peak of my woodworking achievements.
Well! I am not too sure how old I was in that picture but maybe that was a couple of years before.
... ... You don't really care do you? (wink) :rolleyes:

And hurray! I have discovered how to add attachments to my posts so I don't have to copy the images from my blog.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,942 Posts
Jean, that photograph of you is almost as old as the one on my avatar!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Harry, I had a look at some of your stuff. I especially love the bowls. Pity about the one that broke. Your wife must have been thrilled with the clock too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts