Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Gary Wiant, my wife & I own Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, a sign shop in western PA. We have been in business since 1995. About 20 years ago we built our new shop & had to decide between expanding our business with buying either a digital printer or a CNC router, we chose a digital printer which I am happy about but now it's time to expand again, this time I chose CNC over a Laser or 3D Printer.

I'm relatively new to CNC. Last summer I found a used DIY Machine Tool Camp 4'x8' router. I admit straight off the top that I probably didn't do my homework on it, but I wanted a router to learn on & see if we could build some customers & create some work with it. Unfortunately the machine isn't rigid enough to route any faster than 20 inches per minute without it chattering. It came with a Milwaukee router on it & after I leveled the table the very next job the route blew up, so I purchased a Huan Yang VFD & air cooled 2.2 KW spindle, i got it wired up & running to find that I was getting interference because of the power cable not being shielded, i said enough is enough.

Last week I ordered a CNC Router Parts Pro 4'x8' router with their Nema 34 PNP electronics & their 2.2 KW spindle & VFD, & I'm going to build a vacuum table for it.

Im very excited to get it in & get it set up, but I am new to CNC so I'm sure I'll have a ton of question about everything from software, correct bits, feeds & speeds to finishing.

Hopefully I'll soon be able to start giving back advise.

Thank you
Gary

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Gary

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
Welcome. I've posted a simple business plan for making money with a CNC machine a couple of times. This is one string on the topic of marketing and making a good living with CNC. I've taught marketing (to doctors) for 36 years, and these are my thoughts. Read through all the pages, there are many gems in there that may be helpful. Sounds like you're serious about your CNC business

https://www.routerforums.com/cnc-routing/114441-making-nice-living-cnc.html

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
One of the places you can go for bit and feed speed advice is Onsrud https://www.onsrud.com/ Some members that tried them on their CNCs said they outperformed Freud, Amana, and CMT. They specialize in CNC tooling. They used to make saw blades and I have a bunch and they are some of the finest I've ever used. The people that called their customer service said they went out of their way to be helpful.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gary. I’m hoping to purchase the Pro model myself someday

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Gary.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,076 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gary.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Welcome Gary. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. You've certainly come to the right place. Happy journey.

·
Registered
Mike
3,843 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Gary. If you have any questions when you start assembling your CNC let us know and we can probably come up with several answers to your questions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you to everyone who posted, I will post photos of projects as soon as I get my router up & running but the MTC router that I bought used was in such bad working condition I wasn't able to really do anything except cut out sign shapes on 3 signs. It was an expensive mistake buying it.

I'm sure il have plenty of questions once I start building it, in fact I am going to post a question now about the vacuum table im going to build.

Thanks again
Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.