Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone
I'm David from Yorkshire. I'd call myself an enthusiastic wood spoiler. The point of joining the forum is to 'spoil' less & succeed more. All advice gratefully received. I may not listen to it all, but i still appreciate it regardless ;

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Hi, welcome. This site really helped be get going. Always did home improvement since I grew up in an old farmhouse (Pre WW I) that needed constant work. Woodworking is a whole different thing. I've attached a pdf of the 18 things that helped accelerate my learning curve. It might help save you some expensive mistakes. It is written for the USA in terms of specific tools, but the principles apply. You'll find we're a very nice and helpful bunch here. There are also a number of Brits here as well for country specific tools and issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello David aka N/a from Yorkshire...
welcome to the forums...
about this ''All advice gratefully received'' request.............
if you head over to this link there's ''some'' there waiting on you....
if you'd like even more, there's a passel at this here link...
enjoy...

Reactions: listysdad

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Typos allowed, David, most people don't care (specially not me)
Welcome...
that's ''typonese''...
the 2nd most fluent language spoken here...

Reactions: JFPNCM and harrysin

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
corerect

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you peeps 👍

I notice there's almost some humour too 😉 You'll notice the correct spelling of humour... 😎

Question. How does one do something like 'like' a post or similar? This platform is all very new to me - plus I'm an old codger!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what is this???...
swearing???
Thank you peeps 👍

the thumbs up over on the right gives you the likes..
at least you haven't made coot yet... or is that koot???

could you adjust your profile for name and country???

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello welcome to router forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is this???...
swearing???
Thank you peeps 👍

the thumbs up over on the right gives you the likes..
at least you haven't made coot yet... or is that koot???

could you adjust your profile for name and country???
Done. Unf on a phone in portrait mode very little 'works'.
I've had to show the full site to see what I needed. Hmmm

·
Registered
121 Posts
I assume you David live near the Revenants of Wharram? (may be spelled incorrectly, but sadly not on purpose)

Just asking, heck these days you do not know whom to trust from Yorkshire, they may be a zombie.
What no humor heer.

Again welcome. There is just about (rather all I know) in woodwork types here (not meaning the people, although that as well). Meaning whatever you fancy in learning more of without a tutor/mentor over your shoulder.

If you have any particular question, we (someone here) will be glad to show you the area to find your answer.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum David.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Welcome aboard David. As you've clearly experienced we have all flavors of advice....and personalities. On a serious note you'll typically get as much advice as you need to advance and many ways to achieve the end goal. Keep in mind that we work with most all tools so sky's the limit and being simple folk we really like pictures. Makes a gooder presentation of what's being asked or even accomplished. Remember, most of us are making scrap daily so expect mistakes and learn from them. I have a place on my wall for the worst of them as a daily reminder. If you aren't having fun woodworking you're not doing it correctly.....

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
Welcome David, I promise not to re-start the war of the roses despite originating from Lancshire! It would be in your interest to list the tools that you have so that relevant answers may be given to any questions that you may have.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Well David, I guess you've gotten the spirit of this place. But most of us have some skills and a willingness to offer suggestions. Typos depend a little on which keyboard I'm using and how small the font is. Another factor is how late in the day I'm posting.

It's really interesting following the UK's process for Brexit. Messy working with countless Brussels bureaucrats. They shouldn't have messed with electric tea kettles. I hope the UK cuts a very favorable deal with the U.S. We revolutionaries don't hold grudges. Let the EU flounder in their red tape.

Normally we don't do much political punditry here, but many of us have very wide ranging interests.

Back to woodworking: What kinds of project are you interested in building? Are there things your spouse would like? It's easier to buy tools if the spouse benefits directly. My wife paints so I make picture frames. Tried using pine for that, but stains really don't work well on that soft wood. I particularly like Cherry.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the world where as you have read by now, advice and humor are abundant and not necessarily in that order.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts