Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm Marcus. I did some woodworking in high-school and some framing work and art woodwork in college. It's been five or six years and I'm just getting back into it.

We bought a new house recently and I want to do a lot of projects to make it our own.

The first project I plan to tackle is built-in benches for the dining room. These benches will be in an L in the corner providing seating to 1/4 of a round table. I'd like the benches to have lids like chests and provide storage inside.

Something similar to the built-in benches here except in an L:

Other projects I plan to tackle later include build-in shelves and desk for the office and outdoor furniture.

I've bought a number of tools:
Table saw
Hand Plane
Sander
Bosch 1604 router
Compressor with nail gun and blow off tools
Circular saw
A number of books on cabinet making, built-ins and Taunton's complete illustrated guide to woodworking
and more tools.

Hopeful for any advice for a beginner. I'm also looking for some helpful plans to get started.

Thanks,
Marcus

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
:) Hello and welcome to the router forum. Marcus

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Welcome Marcus from the wilds of western Canada.

If you already have the Taunton stuff, then you are off to a great start. :smile:

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,329 Posts
Welcome to the forum Marcus.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome Marcus..........

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Marcus. My daughter had me build some benches/chests like you describe. When she had guests they were used as benches. The rest of the time they served as chests to hold extra throw cushions, blankets, etc. And as platforms for her dogs so they could watch what was happening outside.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome to the Forum , Marcus. Have you considered padding / upholstery for the seats and backs. Taunton books are very good.

Rog

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Marcus.

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
G'day Marcus, welcome to the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts