Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I recently assembled a Millright Mega V XXL and am having issues completing my first job.

all test axis test and end stop switch test are good. i can jog anywhere without issue but i cant get it to complete a single spoil board surfacing job. every thing just stops mid run, no errors, no alarms. i can stop the job, re home and restart, but it just stops again in a different spot ( any where between a few seconds and around 10 min.)

I tried working with milright support. they said it was a communication problem and had me buying new usb cables, powered usb hubs and surge protectors. I even sent the control box back to millright for repair. non of that has helped and millright has stopped communicating with me.

I checked out millright forum and found many posts with the same or similar problems, the suggestions are always the same. "its a communication issue, buy new usb cable, add a powered usb hub, add more grounding" i did not come across any solutions.

i am at a loss...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, yes i did.
I have used several computers, with several cables. i have all power options off and no screen saver. apps are running as admin. i have tried with laptops plugged in and i have tried laptops running on batteries. it aways results in the same thing, stopped jobs at random points.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What CAD/CAM software are you using? In that software, what post processor are you using?

What gcode sender are you using?

What are you using for dust collection/extraction?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CAD/CAM: Fusion 360

G-code sender: UGS and OpenBiulds Control

Dust Collection: NONE

I have also used the spoil board wizard in Open Builds.
And i have run the same jobs without cutting (router off, unplugged, no bit)
still stops at random points, no errors. last line in console states firmware ver.

Console capture from OpenBuilds:
[08:43:43] [ (rear) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ (Machine) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ ( vendor: Mill Right) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ ( model: Mega V XXL) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ ( description: Mill Right Mega V XXL) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ (T1 D=28.575 CR=0 - ZMIN=-3 - face mill) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ $G ] [GC:G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M5 M9 T0 F0 S0]
[08:43:43] [ $G ] ok
[08:43:43] [ G90 G94 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ G17 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ G21 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ (When using Fusion 360 for Personal Use, the feedrate of) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ (rapid moves is reduced to match the feedrate of cutting) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ (moves, which can increase machining time. Unrestricted rapid) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ (moves are available with a Fusion 360 Subscription.) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ (Face1) ] ok
[08:43:43] [ T1 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ $G ] [GC:G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M5 M9 T1 F0 S0]
[08:43:43] [ S6500 M3 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ $G ] [GC:G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M3 M9 T0 F0 S6500]
[08:43:43] [ G54 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ $G ] [GC:G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M3 M9 T0 F0 S6500]
[08:43:43] [ G0 X9.426 Y-5.759 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ Z7 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ G1 Z5 F1651 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ Z2.358 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ G18 G2 X12.284 Z-0.5 I2.857 K0 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ $G ] [GC:G2 G54 G18 G21 G90 G94 M3 M9 T0 F1651 S6500]
[08:43:43] [ G1 X13.703 ] ok
[08:43:43] [ X1216.297 ] ok
[08:43:47] [ G17 G2 X1216.297 Y-25.606 I0 J-9.923 ] Grbl 1.1i MegaV 4 Axis Router ['$' for help]
[08:43:54] [ ] Grbl 1.1i MegaV 4 Axis Router ['$' for help]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have your machine. I do have a grbl-based machine, though, and have struggled in the past with jobs freezing mid-run. You have already tried the obvious fixes, it would seem. On the power saving issue, even though you have turned off usb power saving in windows, if you are running a hub, you need to turn off power saving for its driver in device manager.

I was never able to solve my freeze issue using UGS. That said, many others have. I switched my gcode sender to gSender by Sienci. It was an obvious choice for me as I own their CNC mill. gSender will work with pretty much any grbl-based controller, so you may want to try it. Sienci has an excellent forum with a category dedicated to gSender. Many of the users on that forum use Fusion360 and gSender with success.

There are other things you can do using the Arduino IDE, if all else fails. I resorted to that finally, and have been freeze-free ever since. If you want to explore those options, send me a PM and we can discuss what needs to be done. Depending on your knowledge of Arduino, it can be a bit complicated. Fair warning, I am sitting in a cottage right now with limited internet capability, so it may be a few days before I can do anything more.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will look into gSender, although I have been happy with OpenBuilds Controls so far .

I do not believe the CAM software of the G-code sender is my issue.
I am leaning toward a bad choice of wiring (2-wire non shielded non twisted pair) or a poorly designed controller (Arduino clone with CNC shield)
I am thinking about replacing my controller with a OpenBuilds BlackBox o Spark Concepts CNC-xPRO and using shielded wire for limit switches
Thank you for your offer, i think i want to avoid building a controller from scratch but with my limited Arduino experience (meaning NONE). but I would like to keep that option open

any thoughts on BlackBox or CNC-xPRO?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I only know what I read about them after reading your post. They both look promising, but I did not do any research to read what others are saying about them. I'm sorry that I can't be of any help. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what if you make a pocket program the size of your spoilboard, .010 deep. will it complete the task completely?
i think the first gcode i compiled was a pocket program, but i did not like cut path on the preview so i did not use it. i will go back and compile it again and see how far it runs.
unfortunately, i will not have the opportunity for another 2 weeks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a different machine but had the same issues. Turned out to be EMI, I installed 5 ferrite chokes on the stepper motor wiring and on the router power cord, also grounded the chassis of the machine. Haven't had a issue since. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Retired old fart working with wood
186 Posts
I have a MillRight Mega V Xl, and had connection issues when I 1st got it. Tried 3 different computers tha I used successfully with others CNCs. I ended up purchasing a brand new computer and all my issues went away. I have been using Open Builds for several years with no issues. A few weeks ago, I downloaded the updated version and my jobs started freezing, or the tool paths would not run. I uninstalled the new version and went back to the previous version and everything is fine again. Your issues can be with the newest version of Open Builds. Try downloading an older version and try that. Also, make sure your router wire is NOT touching any other wire, run it outside the cable chain. So, my issues were corrected with: new computer, router wire not touching any other wire, and older version of Open Builds.

Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a MillRight Mega V Xl, and had connection issues when I 1st got it. Tried 3 different computers tha I used successfully with others CNCs. I ended up purchasing a brand new computer and all my issues went away. I have been using Open Builds for several years with no issues. A few weeks ago, I downloaded the updated version and my jobs started freezing, or the tool paths would not run. I uninstalled the new version and went back to the previous version and everything is fine again. Your issues can be with the newest version of Open Builds. Try downloading an older version and try that. Also, make sure your router wire is NOT touching any other wire, run it outside the cable chain. So, my issues were corrected with: new computer, router wire not touching any other wire, and older version of Open Builds.
Good advice, I run the smaller version of the mega v and still have these same issues from time to time. I started with a new laptop which I still use, and just use the version of UGS Millwright has on it's website, not the web version. I even had my garage re-wired got it off the house circuits. Every time my wife turned on the hair dryer and everything was running it kicked the breaker, got that fixed, bathroom and garage were on the same circuit. That shut everything down!
I tried using the web version of UGS and had nothing but problems,,,,, using Milwright's website version seems to be better,,,, and all that stuff Karen said too.
GET DUST COLLECTION! I just use a home depot shop vac 14 gallon I think running it into a 30 gallon garage can with the lid from woodcrafters and it works great. It gets 98% of the dust and the can goes a long time without needing to be emptied,,,, super fine dust, unlike the dewalt planner which is a dust monster, same set up, works great,, empty often. Either case you don't want be breathing the saw dust from either machine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went out and ran a little program early this AM,,, after a few days of it sitting, and it ran like a champ on a small piece of cedar. I did make sure all the connections were tight on my dust collection , absolutely no dust at all.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Really late to this party. I help a local makerspace with their Millright Mega V XL. It was having serious problems with EMI due both the DW611 router and a very low end dust collector. Basically when you placed a load on the router it would crash the Grbl controller. The Millright controller shield has no protection against EMI. I swapped the Arduino out for a Teensy based grblHAL controller (32-bit Grbl) that has opto isolation on inputs and the problems went away, You can read about it here and here. Full disclosure, I designed and sell the breakout board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts