Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your profile to clear the N/a in the side panel and so we'll know what to call you, especially since this is an introduction. Add your location, as well.

I use Bosch routers but am not understanding your question on the plugs. Maybe someone else will chime in soon.

David

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Ty. Most members will say the best package is the Bosch 1617 evspk which is a 2 plus hp fixed/ plunge kit. Bosch has the best customer service and there are so many of these out there that it makes it one of the most likely to still have parts available years down the road. I would also recommend the Hitachi M12VC kit. It’s the same size, can probably be found cheaper, and has a 5 year warranty. I have no idea what Hitavhi’s customer service is like, despite owning 3 as I have never needed them nor have I heard from anyone else needing them. For a table router I would recommend the big Triton or a Hitachi M12V2. It’s my choice for a table router but be aware that it is already a discontinued model. The VE model that replaced it isn’t as well suited to table use. I saw a V2 fairly cheap I think at CPO outlet.

Reactions: JFPNCM and harrysin

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Welcome to the forum, many American members still use fixed base routers/combo kits. Personally I have never understood why this is so, other than on building sites where one bit is set and used exclusively. A PLUNGE router can do everything that a fixed base one can and MUCH, MUCH more.
As mentioned above, for table use the Triton TRA001 is superb.

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum

·
Registered
22,205 Posts
Welcome. I have two 1617 routers, with both bases. One was used in the table, but I retired it when I put a Triton TRA001 in my table. If you lived in another country, Makita and a couple of other brands are better known. I just don't think in the U.S. you can't go wrong with the 1617 kit.

Bosch also makes a very decent entry level portable table saw, the model 4100. Very good for the money.

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums.

I like Bosch but it really depends on the job at hand.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm thinking your question can only be answered specifically if you identify what operation(s) you will be doing mostly.

In my recent limited experience, I love my 690 Porter Cable, primarily because it has both 1/2 and 1/4 collet and is handy and relatively lightweight and powerful enough for what I do. Mounted it into my Woodpeckers router table with lift.

I also have an old school Black and Decker 2 hp plunge router and two more 2 hp fixed base routers, one a B+D and one an ancient Porter Cable. They are all 1/4" collett only, and thus will be relegated to only a small portion of the bits I have and their use. I bought 3 of these used and cleaned them up, cost me less than $50 CAD each, and they work fine. Going to use them like my various PC drills and impact drivers - each router gets a dedicated bit installed, so it's always ready to go; plunge will likely be used for circle cutting, the others for corner beading and trimming.

Probably going to buy a bigger 3+hp 1/2" collett for the table eventually, and would like a 1/2 capapble plunge router - loved my old school 3-1/4 hp Ryobi from the early 90s - thing was a monster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.